How can I resolve this issue with the roof and varying ceiling heights?

GrantDM

Go to solution Solved by Designers_Ink,

I am struggling to create a roof properly when dealing with varying ceiling heights in one plan. Why is it rendering this way? How can I prevent this from happening? Am I missing a step when generating the roofs, or does this need to be done manually? Thank you in advance! 

Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 7.15.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 7.15.28 PM.png

• Solution

Give this a look.  The attic wall type did not match up to the upper exterior (stucco) wall, so there was an offset.  It was an interior wall with drywall.  The roof plane cut into the wall, so I turned off the special snapping in the dbx for that lower roof plan.  That allows you to move that edge of the roof plane over so it doesn't cut the wall.  

Keep in mind, your upper wall is a thicker wall (2X6 stucco) than the thinner interior wall below it, so that thicker wall will be partially unsupported unless you do a 2X6 interior wall below it.  If you do a 2X4 stucco attic wall to fill in that triangle, you would have to shift that 2X4 interior wall over 2" so it would line up.

Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tv1cxmisjou58jmqxh1qd/Custom-Home-4-modified.plan?rlkey=fwhhca3f9bjyzs1llljuqb3bq&dl=0

17 hours ago, Designers_Ink said:

Give this a look.  The attic wall type did not match up to the upper exterior (stucco) wall, so there was an offset.  It was an interior wall with drywall.  The roof plane cut into the wall, so I turned off the special snapping in the dbx for that lower roof plan.  That allows you to move that edge of the roof plane over so it doesn't cut the wall.  

Keep in mind, your upper wall is a thicker wall (2X6 stucco) than the thinner interior wall below it, so that thicker wall will be partially unsupported unless you do a 2X6 interior wall below it.  If you do a 2X4 stucco attic wall to fill in that triangle, you would have to shift that 2X4 interior wall over 2" so it would line up.

Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tv1cxmisjou58jmqxh1qd/Custom-Home-4-modified.plan?rlkey=fwhhca3f9bjyzs1llljuqb3bq&dl=0

Jeff - thank you so much for this insight! So simple, yet I hadn't considered the different wall types being automatically generated. I really appreciate your help!

Grant