Transitioning from DataCAD to Chief Architect

The_Canuck

I will preface this by saying I did search through the forums and found a couple users that stated they use(d) DataCAD, but are now Chief Architect users.  I did reach out to them, but I figured it might also be beneficial to see if there are others that were DataCAD users or made a similar transition.

So I have been a DataCAD user for upwards of 16 years.  It's what the firm I was working at used, and then when I went off on my own, I continued to use it.  Overall I still like the program and what it offers.  I see it more as a 2D program with 3D capabilities, than say a BIM or 3D program that you can get 2D drawings from.  I am getting to a point though where I feel like I might be hitting a ceiling or a limit with the program.  I have a Mac and need to run parallels (virtual OS) to be able to use the program, which isn't the end of the world, but just a small hurdle.  I recently had to go into the Apple Store to get some help as to why my computer seemed to be bogging down.  It shouldn't be with the specs I have, but in doing some digging, it was discovered that DataCAD runs as a 32 bit program in a 64 bit OS.  So I am hitting some huge limitations as 32-bit programs are more or less maxed out at 4GB of RAM.  As I stated, I am wondering if I have hit a limit, hence the need to explore other options.

So what made you switch from DataCAD (or another CAD program) to ChiefArchitect?  How was the transition or ease of converting?  I think like most people that get used to a specific program, change is hard, and I am a bit reluctant.  Learning Chief Architect is either going to be done at night (after-hours) or I sacrifice billable time and getting projects done to try and learn a new program, which I am hesitant to do, hence spending some additional time at night.  My drawings in DataCAD are strictly 2D.  Typically a lot of information gets put into the drawings, and I haven't seen an example yet, that that is possible with Chief Architect.  I never got into the 3D side of things as I felt my drawings had enough information and detail for people to understand what was happening.  If I needed to model something, I used SketchUp.  And those were more like generic white-board models to see the basic shapes.  Is the 3D aspect of the program a benefit for you, a hinderance, or neither?  Is there anything you miss about DataCAD (or another CAD program)?  What would you say to someone like myself that might be on the fence about jumping ship?

I appreciate any thoughts/input you might be able to provide to me.

Jason

I started with Datacad in the 90s (Version 3.6e), its a great program for 2d work, and I liked having the ability to get the final output to look exactly the way I wanted, but a few years ago I began feeling more and more pressure to adopt a BIM type program with full 3D capabilities, estimating, etc. I tried a few different software programs (Archicad, Softplan, Revit) but ended up with CA, it just seemed to work the way my brain could understand. The conversion process was one of my concerns, previously I had tried taking a gradual approach, but found that if I got frustrated, it was too easy to just go back and draw the plan up in DataCad, so I picked a date (Jan 1, 2018) and never looked back. I watched all the training videos I could find, and did a few practice plans ahead of time, but I was pleased with how the transition went.

While it is possible to learn it that way, it would not be a bad idea to invest in some training, CA has some classes (they also offer one-on-one training). Initially, I took a class form CA when they came to Atlanta, I think it was 2 days of training. There are also several private individuals that offer training. Later on I took a class with Dan Bauman which offered a little different perspective, and was very helpful. And of course there is an annual Users Group Meeting which is at the end of August. Its a great way to get training, meet other users, and network.

As far as information that you can put on the plans, it would be far easier to detail out a set of construction documents than with DataCad. I can produce a set of plans in far less time, that is more accurate, and offers more features, in half the time. There are a couple of users that have taken it to the next level, I would suggest looking at some of the plans from Joey Martin ( I believe he won the best construction documents category in one of the AIBD conferences), also CA user Rene Rabbit has a lot of tools he markets that may be of interest to you.

DataCad is a good program and has its niche, but if you want 3D capabilities, smart building tools, etc, I think CA is a great option, and I think you will be pleased with the results.

• Like 1