trouble with a terrain site permitter

felipecamacho

15 minutes ago, felipecamacho said:

I try to input information into Chief Architect to create a terrain, but every time I do so, the terrain line that I'm attempting to edit seems to shift randomly. Despite getting the perimeter quite close to the desired dimensions, it still doesn't align perfectly.

Well Chief Architect assumes that all surveys are perfect.  Unfortunately that is rarely true.  On a rare situation a subdivision is planned on a computer and then staked out in the field as it was designed.  Otherwise surveys are an evolution of circumstances and are not as accurate as they might appear to be as draw on paper.  Yes the survey is a legal document and usually is the best representation available.

My point being is that 1/100th of a foot and 1 second of a degree is quite precise, but often when you get to the end of the plotting process you will find that the lines do not join and there is a small gap preventing them from joining or they slightly overlap.  Chief usually wants to join and snap these together and to keep the automatic labels displaying as they should that often can not happen.

If that makes sense then you might be able accomplish the task at hand.  If not post your plan with the survey PDF embedded and I will see if I can take a look and resolve the issue for you.

13 minutes ago, felipecamacho said:

yes could you please take a look at the survey? I've been trying to nail down the perimeter, and it seems like your insights might be spot on. It could also be something on my end – possibly some user error. Any help would be awesome

its the highlighted lot#13

Yes there does seem to be an issue.  Fortunately it seems to be a current survey. And you have contact information.

Lets just be sure if we can what the actual issue is.  Can you post a screen shot of how far you got while I continue to work on it ?

I will give you a brief description for now and see how that goes.

I no longer use the Input Line tool as there are too many situations where it fails or I fail to know how to use it properly.

You may or may not want to import the PDF file to use to trace over, depending on whether or not you have a conveniently placed reference monitor and how you like to work. (  I did not bother to import your survey you posted. ) 

Generally you will want to have angle and grid snaps turned off and always keep  " Connect Cad Segments" turned off.  This is difficult even though this is a Preference setting chief believes this tool should be always on and that user Preference resets every time you open the program.  So have it on your toolbar somewhere convenient and do not touch a plot line previously draw with CCS turned off or you will have issues unless you remember to turn CCS off again while working in a new plot line secession.

So if that makes sense then progressively draw cad lines, or on a simple lot draw a cad box, that roughly represents the plot lines. Then as you go open the DBX and make the corrections before you snap a new line to the end of the corrected one. This also allows you to reverse lines that have the wrong orientation for the quadrant bearing angle.

This process unfortunately is slower but gives you more control and I find gets you to a finished product that is correct.  In situations like yours it also lets you build what is known first and then fill in the unknown's or make corrections to anything entered incorrectly.

You may notice at a corner, when you zoom in, that there is a slight misconnection but unfortunately that is surveying. If you need an area polyline you may need to draw that independently from the plot linens to keep the official measurements displayed.  This also allows you to zoom in and measure the accuracy of the survey and determine if it meets local standards so you know if something needs to be resurveyed.

Let me know if that works for you in a situation like you are facing as it is even more important when you are plotting out multiple lots like was required to figure out the missing information on your survey.