User Library Shared on Cloud with Staff

amddrafting

I'm sure this one has been talked to death but I did a search and couldn't find any topics right away.

So with X15 can we now share a single User Library if we keep it in a shared cloud environment?  We use MS Teams and work mostly remotely.  I have all of our templates pointed to one shared folder in our Chief Architect Teams folder.  I have all of our library objects that are created by an individual shared to a folder so we can all import those objects, details, etc so we have all keep a similar updated library.  I also maintain the most comprehensive User Library and export it often so people can reimport the whole user library if needed.   This is obviously a lot of work.

My goal would be to move our user library to that location in teams and point everyone's CA program to that location and share that User Library with everyone.   Meaning when we all open our CA that folder directory points to that file to load the User Library.   In the past when I tried that we would get overwritten libraries and people would lose folders worth of library objects.  I thought this was already resolved and possible but I just want to make sure I'm safe to move forward on this work flow, or are we still waiting for that feature to become a thing?  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:24 AM, amddrafting said:

I'm sure this one has been talked to death but I did a search and couldn't find any topics right away.

So with X15 can we now share a single User Library if we keep it in a shared cloud environment?  We use MS Teams and work mostly remotely.  I have all of our templates pointed to one shared folder in our Chief Architect Teams folder.  I have all of our library objects that are created by an individual shared to a folder so we can all import those objects, details, etc so we have all keep a similar updated library.  I also maintain the most comprehensive User Library and export it often so people can reimport the whole user library if needed.   This is obviously a lot of work.

My goal would be to move our user library to that location in teams and point everyone's CA program to that location and share that User Library with everyone.   Meaning when we all open our CA that folder directory points to that file to load the User Library.   In the past when I tried that we would get overwritten libraries and people would lose folders worth of library objects.  I thought this was already resolved and possible but I just want to make sure I'm safe to move forward on this work flow, or are we still waiting for that feature to become a thing?  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Yes you can.

I would NOT advise it.
Chief will try to re-write the user library for every change that is made on ANYONE's machine so long as that machine is running Chief. When Chief sees that the user library is locked it will make a new file User Library_1 for instance, which will just get lost. Chief will only open a file named User_library.
There are more advanced ways of setting up a cloud sync option but these all require a process that the entire team must stick to.
Alternatively you could regularly export the days new library items and at the start of the next day have the team do their respective imports.
I have 4 different methods for User Library syncing but every method is a process that must be trained to the team

16 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Yes you can.

I would NOT advise it.
Chief will try to re-write the user library for every change that is made on ANYONE's machine so long as that machine is running Chief. When Chief sees that the user library is locked it will make a new file User Library_1 for instance, which will just get lost. Chief will only open a file named User_library.
There are more advanced ways of setting up a cloud sync option but these all require a process that the entire team must stick to.
Alternatively you could regularly export the days new library items and at the start of the next day have the team do their respective imports.
I have 4 different methods for User Library syncing but every method is a process that must be trained to the team

That's what I was afraid of.  I figured it was still too complex to not have some sort of process going.  I plan on just doing like you said and exporting daily/weekly and having them reimport the library as needed.  If they create library objects/details I usually have them export it to the library folder and then I reimport to my library then export the entire library with new items added.  Then just have them import that full library weekly.  I appreciate the feedback Rabbit!