Rendering Style

GMTinc

I have done virtually no  high end rendering.  Photo-realism is nice, during the design process, for helping clients, but the little I have done (and that is very little) takes an inordinate amount of time and often the client spends all their efforts critiquing which textures to use.  Just personal, but I find a more technical drawing seems to communicate better in establishing the basic design.  However, and a big one, 3d images do wonders to communicate with the client.  Mine are generally limited to cad line images made from the stock generated views.  I am learning more about doing a design that will accurately reflect the details I want in 3d, but that in itself is an ongoing process, and a different subject.  With that as a background of just how clueless I am with this subject, my question is this:

I really like the "Style" in the rendering that CA is using in their current advertisements.  It is very "technical" looking and eliminates having to spend hours dealing with paint colors, carpet colors and brick textures etc.  Still it has shadow lines etc which greatly enhance the clients perception of what the house "could" look like.  I have no idea how to do that.  For all I know it is some sort of "Standard" style, readily available if I just knew where to look.  I suspect not however.  I have not seen anything in the online training that helps.  Can anyone provide me the basics of how to set up such a render?

Gary,

I like to use the watercolor with line drawing on top.  It does a nice job of illustrating without people feeling the need to overly pick them apart.   I think you are talking about the technical illustration though.   That is good and shows nice shadows, but it is a little too 'rigid' looking for me.

I also do some involved photo-realistic stuff, but most people dont want to spend the time or money on it.

I tend to like things to have the same general appearance as they did when I was manually drawing them.  Don't get me wrong, I would never ever go back to that.  Still it is obvious, from what I mentioned, that effect Is available and I was just trying to mine any suggestions as to how.  Thanks for your reply.

Not sure how much you have played with the watercolor, but it gives some good effects, and does a lot to give that look.   Of course you can go totally B&W too.    I have before made rendering models and "spray painted" most all features white except for things I wanted accented.   Just copy model and "save as".

Here are a few examples from some are very very simple and still in the 'rough' layout stage.   Really to just give you and idea.

I threw a POV render that was done after the watercolor was tweaked so you can see the difference.  Truth be told, I think you get just as much out of the watercolors......

post-3615-0-85212300-1423603142_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-22950100-1423603213_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-82535000-1423603251_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-16336100-1423603299_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-45972400-1423603310_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-26244500-1423603384_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-00811400-1423603388_thumb.jpg

Very nice.  I haven't a clue how to accomplish that.  Back when I started with CA, I basically used it for floorplan design and did everything else with the CAD tools.  We had a lot of detail that was just not possible to get into the 3D views.  That has changed and a great deal is now possible.  Still not all, but enough to pique my interest in trying to use more features of the program.  I have progressed pretty well, but am just now trying to affect some sort of "Style" by using the rendering tools.  Thanks for this and let's keep in touch

That last technical illustration is more what I am looking for.  Is that (let me flount my ignorance) a "standard" setting or something you put together using render tools?

Yep....You can choose the "high" and "low" color and the fading and intensity.   I have changed to using black and white.   You get shadow lines...etc.

You can even control line thickness.   Try it out!   It is under the render options any time you pull a camera.