Dutch Gable Tips

ADallas

I'm modeling an existing house with this feature on its roof--I might call it a gable vent on a hip roof, but Chief calls it a Dutch Gable. I've been experimenting and I thought I'd share what I learned.

image.thumb.png.53c498d8dd2b1e460e395ca19ae3e2f6.png

To create a Dutch Gable

1. Start with a hip roof. Open the wall under the gable (not the roof plane).
  2. On the wall's Roof panel, select Dutch Gable Wall
  3. You can specify dimensions for Starts at Height or In from Baseline.
    1. Maybe Starts at Height is easier for some projects. You can get the ridge height from the roof plane's General panel. Starts at Height uses absolute elevations, as does Ridge Top Height.
    2. One key point to know is that In from Baseline is measured along the slope of the roof. For this model, I specified 7' 11" In from Baseline. (Remember that the baseline is the roof/wall intersection.)

image.thumb.png.a98e3eba44f1c820fdb4cae8849cbea5.png

Also, In from Baseline sets the fascia of the Dutch Gable. By default, the actual gable is inset from the fascia by the same dimension as the roof plane's overhang. In plan view, select the roof plane (click on the overhang edge, not the wall or room) and you'll see an adjustment handle on the high gable, but not on the gable overhang. The fascia respects the In from Baseline dimension. In this example, by the way, 7' 5" is how we know that the In from Baseline dimension runs along the roof (the hypotenuse, not the base).

image.thumb.png.b50449daefb43aa72d9ff488accc730b.png

The gable creates an attic wall, visible if you go above the top floor to the A level.

Question for anyone who has read this far: How can you change the fascia size on the little gable? I tried changing the Roof Plane / Structure panel. I tried Gable Fascia, Eave Fascia, Gable Sub Fascia, and Eave Sub Fascia, but I could not seem to effect any change in the fascia size, either on the gable or on the perimeter.

• Upvote 1