Storm shelter - suspended garage

DenisePac

I want the foundation walls in the storm shelter of the attached plan to be poured higher up so I can raise the ceiling just within this room. The steel bar joist in the suspended garage area would stop short of the storm shelter foundation walls, so it should work, but I'm not sure how to change floor structure above, etc. for this to build the way I want it to. FYI - this is just a conceptual drawing and is not engineered at this time. I created a cross section elevation within the plan so you can go right to the area I'm referencing.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.  Hope you all had a great New Year's holiday!

Denise

StormShelter.jpg.970bd7b18a748dd523f5d5e8bdec17cc.jpg

WAGNERTEST.zip

I believe it would be most common and economical to use top-chord bearing bar joists in this case, unless there is another compelling reason for bottom-chord bearing joists. If using top-chord bearing, I suggest setting the garage floor structure to the standard seat depth of 2-1/2" (for K-series joists) as a starting point; Chief will then automagically build the foundation walls higher, and you can manually draw in the bar joist profile:

700121968_ScreenShot01-03-22at08_22AM.thumb.JPG.2604cbbadb49c0a6b53c11da8daf4998.JPG1266863791_ScreenShot01-03-22at08_29AM.thumb.JPG.c1674bdf1c3337c21c0ea569e5921f0c.JPG

A hollow-core precast plank and split slab system may also be worth considering.