Accurate 3D Model of the Barenaked TStud?

itsarainydayhere

Has anyone accurately modeled the "barenaked" T-Stud in 5.5" and 7.25"?  This is the uninsulated version that will have a similar R-value to whatever cavity insulation is installed.  I plan to attempt this, but I want the material to perform (re-size, not stretch) similar to a real world object - I am asking if there is a way to make the repeating pattern "tile" in the z-axis as the length of the "stud" is changed?  Thanks!

- Home Designer Pro 8, X6-X13

26 minutes ago, itsarainydayhere said:

Has anyone accurately modeled the "barenaked" T-Stud in 5.5" and 7.25"?  This is the uninsulated version that will have a similar R-value to whatever cavity insulation is installed.  I plan to attempt this, but I want the material to perform (re-size, not stretch) similar to a real world object - I am asking if there is a way to make the repeating pattern "tile" in the z-axis as the length of the "stud" is changed?  Thanks!

- Home Designer Pro 8, X6-X13

It can be done by setting your stretch planes up properly in the symbol dbx. Just curious(simply interested), why go through all of the effort? are you getting a margin return on accurate 3d framing?

I would like to have alternate "primitives" to work with, but that still interact in Chief with definable attributes. In the case of this job, the AHJ can have a bit of tunnel vision with "non-traditional" materials, so I am just looking to head off any questions/discussion in the early part of the permitting process.  For my own purposes, I like to include as much detail as I need to communicate effectively with the client, and since I like the product, I'm considering it an investment in many future conversations.  I think I saw a stretch plane discussion concerning helical piles, so I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Is there anything special I need to do to define this as a Framing "Stud" to incorporate it into wall assemblies?

18 hours ago, itsarainydayhere said:

I would like to have alternate "primitives" to work with, but that still interact in Chief with definable attributes. In the case of this job, the AHJ can have a bit of tunnel vision with "non-traditional" materials, so I am just looking to head off any questions/discussion in the early part of the permitting process.  For my own purposes, I like to include as much detail as I need to communicate effectively with the client, and since I like the product, I'm considering it an investment in many future conversations.  I think I saw a stretch plane discussion concerning helical piles, so I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Is there anything special I need to do to define this as a Framing "Stud" to incorporate it into wall assemblies?

Hey rainy day, Please @ mention me or use the quote function so I get notified of questions otherwise these just get lost in a fast-moving shuffle.
You can always ping me if you get hung up on stretch planes.
regarding your question about incorporating into wall assemblies, can you be more specific about what you mean? Think of chief as a compiler, then "incorporation" carries many different user-interpreted meanings. You can designate a symbol on the component level which will report to material takeoffs. You can of course build your own CAD detail for the wall assy. It will not be something that can be auto-built but with multiple copy/cope-paste in place/ and point to point, you could build it very quickly. 
I am a power user and can in most cases frame a home manually as fast as I could auto-build it and then conform the auto-build to my standards.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Hey rainy day, Please @ mention me or use the quote function so I get notified of questions otherwise these just get lost in a fast-moving shuffle.
You can always ping me if you get hung up on stretch planes.
regarding your question about incorporating into wall assemblies, can you be more specific about what you mean? Think of chief as a compiler, then "incorporation" carries many different user-interpreted meanings. You can designate a symbol on the component level which will report to material takeoffs. You can of course build your own CAD detail for the wall assy. It will not be something that can be auto-built but with multiple copy/cope-paste in place/ and point to point, you could build it very quickly. 
I am a power user and can in most cases frame a home manually as fast as I could auto-build it and then conform the auto-build to my standards.

Renerabbitt,  Thanks for the help.  It's been a few years since I last posted here, so I had pressed the quote button but didn't realize I had to click the popup as well.  Got it now.  I have the 5.5" T-stud mostly complete, but I am having trouble trimming the dowels at the outside edge of the polyline solid cylinder that I had used to model it.  Haven't got to the stretch function yet - I probably will just add a few standard stud lengths to my library so it doesn't have to distort at all.  I also do most of my framing manually as the automatic doesn't do that great of a job, so yes, I am more interested it it being listed properly in the material takeoff than being a part of an auto-build, so how do you "designate a symbol on the component level which will report to material takeoffs"?  

Thanks.

1 minute ago, itsarainydayhere said:

"designate a symbol on the component level which will report to material takeoffs"? 

As an exercise, convert a p-solid to a symbol then place the newly created symbol. Open up the symbol using the Open Object Tool and the navigate to the Components Panel.
There you will find user editable parameters that will report to your material list. You can designate your newly created symbol as a framing member, set the size and even cost per unit etc. When finished, saved to your library.
Added bonus, customize your toolbar and add a 
Custom Library Object" Tool and select the new Tool from your Toolbar. It will bring up a subsequent dialohue for you to locate your new T-stud symbol so that it lives on your Toolbars.

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

As an exercise, convert a p-solid to a symbol then place the newly created symbol. Open up the symbol using the Open Object Tool and the navigate to the Components Panel.
There you will find user editable parameters that will report to your material list. You can designate your newly created symbol as a framing member, set the size and even cost per unit etc. When finished, saved to your library.
Added bonus, customize your toolbar and add a 
Custom Library Object" Tool and select the new Tool from your Toolbar. It will bring up a subsequent dialohue for you to locate your new T-stud symbol so that it lives on your Toolbars.

Thanks for the prompt response - I follow all of that, and the custom tool is a great idea.  Thanks!