Pony Foundation walls alignment

DeLayDesign

This has been an issue for me for years.  When creating a "pony wall" for a split level, I need to align the exterior OSB with the exterior of the concrete foundation below it.  The only way I can accomplish something that works is to move the OSB to the 'main layer' but by doing this Chief makes me 'build platform to exterior of layer 'OSB'', which is not accurate.  I've tried using the foundation offset option to no avail, and I really want to get this right.  

Any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.ec8fb85d980e2180cf57b214833a7f34.png

15 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

I've tried using the foundation offset option to no avail,

What problem are you finding with using foundation offset?

Here I offset by the thickness of the OSB. Framing is built wrong, but that's hopefully another problem.

Attaching a simple plan file will help others help you, and adding your Chief version to your signature is also helpful.

ct1.thumb.png.fce45b9189c49ddc9888fd8f7d32b31e.png

When I tell it to offset it doesn't change, maybe because it's a pony wall and not listed as a 'foundation'?  So my only alignment options for the pony wall are exterior surface, interior surface, framing exterior etc...

I've always built split-levels on the first floor as a pony-wall 2x stud construction with 8" or 10" concrete as the lower half, then lowering the floor height as required.

From there I build the foundation and in the lowered split portion I tell the foundation to supply floor to rooms above and I raise the footing location to just below the slab (typically 4")  This allows me to show the foundation on all the same level when I put it on a layout.

Perhaps there is a better way?

image.thumb.png.13189e9d369d9f6fd47e091268d8a767.png

I could build it like what you see below.  Doing this Chief knows how to align it properly with the foundation... However doing it this way won't allow me to see the framing of the furred basement wall on my first floor plan, like I would by building it as a pony wall.

image.thumb.png.e12c8a108c49acf890a238ea751fb45d.png

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    StephenM
    Newest Member
    StephenM

• By Ravenquills
      Hi everyone:

I am having an issue with a split level. I am using Chief X11.
      The plan i posted does not have foundations since when i add those things get really weird and I think I need to sort out the issue with the levels first or the foundation will never build right. I have a room that is going to be garage however no matter how i define it the door from that room into the main house is above the level of the ceiling. see attached photo. I have also attached the plan. The exterior walls are a sip wall customized according to the manufactures specifications with a layer for the furred interior walls. The total thickness on those walls is 10 5/8" The interior wall is a customized interior wall that is load bearing for use in certain areas of the design.

6242019 RFH (Shell2).plan

• By RobersonConstruc
      Does anyone know any good resources or references to help me determine the footings needed to support the live and dead load of a structure? Please forward any suggestions.
    • By Korel_Design
      Hello Everybody,

I've started my first full construction drawing in CA X7 and for the life of me, I can't figure how to resolve a few glitches.

This plan is drawn with the intent to to build on a concrete slab foundation as we commonly do in the south.

I have included screen shots in the post along with the plan backed up in a zip file.

First, there is an additional slab foundation ledge around the Garage area.

On the front porch there are these strange recesses in the concrete porch.

Protruding trough the wall on the front porch are these slab pieces.

On the rear roof slope is a strange slab protruding.

I know these are pretty easy for somebody who is a veteran Chief operator. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a fast learner and I hope to be doing all of my plans in Chief very soon. In the past all I did was use CA to create models and if I had a glitch like these, I just fixed them in PS.

Thank you for your help. Let me know what I need to do to fix each problem area.

CA X7 Plan needs work on glitches.zip

• By cjanderson66
      I do a lot of remodels and want to be able to distinguish between the old foundation and the new foundation in plan view.  In my old program (ACAD) I would crosshatch the existing T footing or even just leave it alone but on the new footing I would poche it so the contractor would know that it is a new footing.  I am having a hard time trying to figure out a good way to do this.  If I go in and define the wall anything other than concrete is still doesn't show up in plan view but it shows up in the section view which I still want it to be concrete.  Any ideas guys?  Also, I've created a slab on grade with perimeter footings.  How can I create and interior footing below a wall that is part of the slab on grade.  Dumbfounded!