Product Approval

Here in Florida we must use only products that are approved per the exposure class and wind load (+/-).  Your state may not but the site has very interesting details that you might want to download for proper installation.  This is good if you include details.  These details come from the manufacturer.  You will not find these details on their web site.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/pr/pr_app_srch.aspx

• Like 1

At first I thought it would be cute to add the approval codes as a custom field to the windows and doors. But I would advise against that. If the builder needs to swap out due to supply that technically is a plan revision that needs to be submitted. However, I did add the wind +/- as custom fields, that seems to work pretty well in some cases.

Thanks, but I was thinking of others in the country that might want to have details of installation that the manufacturer approves.  This gives both the designer and the builder recourse if the install fails and the manufacturer's detail was not followed.  After all you put his on your plans, if the question came up.  Also a case in point:  a house on the beach needed +55/-55 rating. All the details from the manufacturer's show a metal clip sticking out of the bottom of the frame and into the sill (inside).  The homeowner needs to know this and plan on installing new sills (remodel).  Look at the sliding glass doors and notice the bottom track that is almost 3" high on some.  Most home owners would not stand for this, so plans to address this in design or find one that does not have the high track.  These are just a few of the things that this link is good for.  Of course you are in Florida as I am so we have no choice.