Stairs that change width

Gunnemans

I want to have the first part of my stairs one width and then for them to narrow as they go between the walls.  I can't figure out how to do that.  Please help.  Idealy, I want railing run into the wall and stop.  I'm using Chief Architect X12.

Stairs.png

19 hours ago, solver said:

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Break the stair, use the Complete Break tool. Adjust width.

I've tried that.  It still links the two sections for some reason and when I change the width of one, it changes both.

Just to clarify, stairs can be modeled as either separate sections or as subsections contained within in a single section.  If they are separate sections, they can have different widths along with other attributes such as railings and materials.  If they are subsections, they will all have the same attributes.

One easy way to tell that you have subsections instead of separate sections is by paying attention to the handles and labels you see when you select it.  If you see "1-1" and "1-2", this means that they are subsections.  If you see "1" and "2", then this means that they are separate sections.  You should also note the different edit handles you get.  See the picture attached below to see these differences.

By using the "Break" tool you will take a stair section and split it into two subsections.  By using the "Complete Break", you will split it into two separate sections.

If you have a stair section with multiple subsections, you can also use the "Disconnect Selected Subsection" tool to break it into two completely separate sections. 

stair sections vs subsections.png

• Upvote 1