Custom cabinet w/ angle divider and shelving? Help

fmrkva9525

Alright guys need a few suggestions... So I'm a custom woodworker and I'm building built-in bookshelves and a mantle unit for a customer. Normally I'm able to come up with certain techniques in modeling custom millwork projects that are "out of the norm" or beyond the standard cabinetry presets here in chief, but this one is a little more complex.... The unit I'm building consists of floor to ceiling bookshelves with a fireplace surround and mantel in the center. So far easy to do.. but in this particular build the customer wants the bookshelves to have angled dividers/faceframe-stiles that the shelving will go in-between. I've attached some photos to this post so you can have a better idea of what I'm doing here. I build everything custom so I know exactly how I will build the unit, I'm just unsure of how to create a model for it here in chief. I'm assuming id use some sort of 3d polyline to create the angles, but I'm not too familiar with using this feature. It would be nice if I could somehow use a partition and angle it in between two cabinet sides, and manually add shelving in between. If anyone has any ideas id be eager to hear... 

EXAMPLE OF SHELVING
ANGLE.thumb.JPG.1ca269c548e57799d8ca101e172643ec.JPG

ELEVATION VIEW OF UNIT I AM BUILDING

firehouse.thumb.jpg.f0b10d5c3e1be465b795f157148a8b1b.jpg

Questions belong in General Q&A, please.

Draw a polyline solid in elevation representing one leg of the triangle. Copy/Reflect About the cabinet center to form the other leg. Copy/Reflect About the fireplace to place in the other cabinet.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Questions belong in General Q&A, please.

Draw a polyline solid in elevation representing one leg of the triangle. Copy/Reflect About the cabinet center to form the other leg. Copy/Reflect About the fireplace to place in the other cabinet.

Sorry didn't know where to post, thought this would be the best section. But i think I figured it out, thank you for the advice. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    oppguenard1
    Newest Member
    oppguenard1

• By Renerabbitt
      POST 0

You've found it! A thread offering up some of my favorite symbols and content for Chief Architect X-11 and X-12.
      These items are for X-11 and X-12 only. If you haven't updated yet I encourage you to do so, it's a great release.
      The following content is listed by category with both a link to the post within this thread for easy navigation and a link to a direct download if you won't to cut straight to the chase. new/recent uploads are in RED font
      CLICK ON THE "DL" FOR INSTANT .CALIBZ DOWNLOAD:

CONSTRUCTION ASSEMBLIES/ARCHITECTURAL ITEMS:
      RABS 42 CABLE RAILING - DL    RABS MODERN FRONT DOOR AND DOOR ASSEMBLY - DL   RABS INTEGRATED SINK - DL NEW!!! 03/26/2020  
      ENTOURAGE:
      RABS CHARLES-HILL GROUPED LIVING ROOM - DL RABS CHELTON GROUPED LIVING ROOM - DL    ACCESSORY HOME #1 - DL ACCESSORY HOME #2 - DL ACCESSORY HOME #3 - DL  
      KITCHEN RELATED:
      3-ISLANDS - DL LA CORNUE 1908 RANGE - DL CAFE APPLIANCES, PAINTABLE(CORRECTED) - DL  
      LIGHTING:
      PENDANTS AND SCONCES - DL-1 - DL-2 - DL-3 - DL-4 RECESSED NC HALO 4 INCH LED WITH HOUSING - DL NEW!! 03-22-20  
      MATERIALS:
      TILE AND COUNTERTOPS #1 - DL 1(ONEDRIVE LINK) - DL-2 CUSTOM WHITES WITH PAINT TOOLBAR ICONS - DL-1 - DL-2 - DL-3 - DL-4 - DL-5 - DL-6 RABS RUGS 1V1 - DL          RABS STARTER KITCHEN MATERIALS PACK - DL         RABS FLOORING PACK 1 - DL            RABS OLD GOLDEN OAK FLOOR - DL     
      SYMBOLS:
      FIREPLACE ASSEMBLY 1 - DL     FIREPLACE STACK TOOLS - DL ACKLES BED AND EDISON TABLE LAMP - DL-1 - DL - 2 TEAPOT MATERIAL EDITOR REPLACEMENT - DL-1 - DL-2 FINMARK TABLE FROM CB2 - DL FIREPLACE MANTLES 1 AND 2 - DL    RABS STRETCHABLE PICTURE FRAMES - DL    BATH SURROUND TOOLS ARCHED CABINETS -DL Rabs Cat Tree  

VIDEOS: 
      YouTube Channel  
      Many of these I have personally made or modified. Some of the content may have been created by others for which I will give credit. Many of the materials have free licensing, so no credit is needed. 
      Some of this content may slow down your program as I have a high powered machine and often times use complex and high resolution textures. I will try and give as much detail as possible. Use at your own peril!

No but seriously dig through and enjoy, I've spent a good number of hours ensuring the quality of these symbols and will update them periodically- so CHECK BACK IN! and PLEASE GIVE A LIKE FOR THE POST OF ANY SYMBOL YOU LIKE, IT ENCOURAGES ME TO GO BACK AND REFINE/REDUCE/OPTIMIZE THAT SYMBOL. GIVE A DOWNVOTE AND IT'LL PROBABLY ENCOURAGE ME TO DO THE SAME THING...YOU'LL JUST BE A JERK FOR IT

CHANGELOG:(PACIFIC TZ)
      Page 1:
        Post 0:
      02-12-2019- 4:45PM: Removed the poll, migrated this thread. re-uploaded from X11 public beta 02-20-2019-2:59PM: Added a Poll for user content requests 03-30-2020-6:49PM: Deleted Video Links and added link to YouTube Channel   Post 5:
      02-12-2019- 4:45PM: centered the hearth on the symbol   Post 18:
      02-12-2019-9:52PM: Posted and fixed DL links Fireplace Stack
      01-05-2022-fixed broken links  

Here is a symbol to get you started:
      @Cheryl_C_Crane Think you requested this,

RUSTIC BRICK 2.calibz
      Number of Textures: 2
      Map size: 1024x1024
      Filesize: 3.13 MB

• By jlcDesign
      Ladies & Gentlemen, there doesn't appear to be any decent hoses in the Kohler catalog unless you count either the one that comes with the slide bar or the one that's made to connect way up high.  I'm doing a kind-of foot (or dog) washing station, and I want to either create or otherwise acquire a hose.  I've tried with doing a molding polyline in elevation view, but the problem is that it has to curve both left/right and front/back.  See attached.  Love to hear some insight!

• By Trawen
      Hi,
      I was wondering if I can somehow setup spaces between door of cabinets to make a significant line between them.

As you can see on the pictures, one (with that chairs) is what Chief does and spaces just disappear in render because they're too small, second one is image created via SketchUp, but I prefer Chief for modeling. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• By MarkMc
      I've had a run of mantles and worked with them a few ways-plan attached has two flaovors. One is parts, the other is a single cabinet-I kept the stages that I went through with it. Worth dissecting.

At the same time I've had a couple of flush inset appliance jobs so I dropped a Sub-Zero surround set for that in along with the face of a 48 side by side (note that overall width is 1/16" too big but panels should be correct though I haven't done a final check on that one:) Same principal can be sued for flush inset microwave drawers.

Then included a library of the parts used for the flush install so you can do other appliances or see how it's done. Note that you may need to alter the stretch zones if using them elsewhere ads they are set to prevent resizing. Also included a library of some assorted hardware-including sub zero handles.

In there is some Sun Valley Hardware, a McNicols grill-which should be used with caution as they are stupid expensive. The iron hardware in the library also requires restraint as IRL it is very inconsistent and the handles prone to turning in use.

Finally there is a radiator cover (had a mess of those too) and one odd linen cabinet (just showing off with that one) designed around challenging restrictions for the door clearance (why it looks the way it does)

• By MarkMc
      Some time back Graham, myself and a few folks played around with how to show a beaded inset cabinet in Chief.
      What were the best solutions at the time are a PIA to work with. I was in need of doing a job with either beaded inset frames or elite (which will be a bit harder and is far rarer so not here)
      I wanted some way to have a beaded inset frame that was easy to change door style on. Figured this out while driving back from client meeting.
      Plan attached has a bunch of base cabinets configured, one wall cabinet and one tall. I've also attached a library of the "doors" used as "side panel inset" to achieve the beading.
      These are 1/4" beads with a total width of 5/16"  Note that separation widths and heights need to be changed to get correct opening for doors or drawers.

From there you are on your own so open the DBX to see what's going on. Hope you like it, I'm pleased as punch
      Ran a quick rt while checking things-looks like I'll need some hardware with altered origins so they don't float.

Note that these will use the default door, the top (A) drawers use default, the larger B drawers are set individually so either clear or specify those. Leave the beading untouched.
      Discovered that the wall cabinet in the current plan is not set as a door but as a side panel inset. Either correct that your self of use the newly attached BeadInsetPlan_X12.
      Changing to wider combined cabinets involves selecting "layout" vertical or horizontal and splitting. Avoid messing with the beads. Bit tricky, always use a test cabinet.