Sign in to follow this  
warrenwest

Creating custom door frames

Hi Folks,

Im required to create several custom door frames off a 2D drawing the clients sent. Its a wooden arched frame with glass panels inserted in the top and sides. I've been playing with P-solids trying to create this without much success. Searched for an online tutorial and not found anything that can assist me. Can someone point me to a resource that will explain how to do this? 

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 12.11.04 AM.png

This is done with polyline solids. The holes are polyline solids marked as Hole In Polyline Solid.

Draw in elevation. 

Use more polyline solids set to a glass material and centered within the structure.

Not sure if the X parts are part of the glass or part of the frame. They could be done the same way. Create a set of triangles, use Transform/Replicate and Copy/Reflect About to move them. Set them to be a hole.

ct1.thumb.jpg.5c7dc1db96065afb8f9236992974787e.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Oilersfan20
    Newest Member
    Oilersfan20

• By LeeDrafter
      Hi All,
      I would like to control the display of CAD line length and angle labels by layer in addition to via the dbx. Is there a way to do this? I know how to use the dbx below under display options, but I have a file with a bunch of different polylines and I would like to be able to turn on and off the labels without opening a dbx for each one. I would also like to display labels with some layer sets and not others for layout views. Thanks for any suggestions!

• By pgjacob
      Hi All
      I am wondering if you can create a new material from polylines.  I have made many new materials from images.  But in this instance I would like to make a series of metal circles to use to "paint" a hemi-sphere.  I could find an image to use to do this, but I want the circles to actually have real holes so light can shine through them.  I have attached an example of this for a light.  I am able to create a series of holes using a circle and the 3D molding polyline, multiple copy them and add to the library, but material is not an option.  This may not be possible...
      thanks
      melissa

• By Onroad80
      I am drawing a plot plan and the terrain perimeter is angled a few degrees.  How can I show a dimension between the terrain perimeter and the setback line?  The manual dimension tool doesn't work unless the terrain CAD lines are the set angles allowed by CA.  I turn off the angle snaps and grid snaps, and it still won't draw a dimension.  
    • By Flach2
      Just wanted to introduce myself. I’ve been in the building business for 25 plus years, mainly remodeling. Cabinet maker, finish carpenter, remodeler among other things. (I know how things go together!) Can communicate with Architects, builders & remodelers well. Have been certified in & been using Chief since version 6. Have been working remotely all over the country for many years. I work fast & reasonably, usually from a matter of days to 2 weeks turn around time. Please see my work here: www.theprojectdesigners.com Plan examples & references available on request.   Thank You for Considering me, Tom Flachbart from The Project Designers   603 770 6078 tom@theprojectdesigners.com      
    • By Ridge_Runner
      Is there a way to move all of the CAD items on an existing layer to another layer for the entire plan? I am cleaning up some of my layers to simply the list. Over the years my layers have grown and I have some CAD blocks with lines on an old layer that I would like to move to a newer layer and then delete the old layer. For instance: I would like to move all of the CAD on an old layer named "CAD line size 25" over to a newer layer named "CAD 25." If it could be done then I could delete the old layers I no longer use. I have tried but have not been successful without exploding a block first; that would be a nightmare for all of the CAD blocks I have accumulated. But maybe I am missing something or it is so simple I am overthinking it. It would also be helpful if there was a way to determine which blocks use a certain layer. If so then only those blocks would have to be redone. Thanks in advance.