Need help with wall-to-roof intersection in 1.5 story home

I'm fighting chief here with the wall/ceiling/roof intersection of a 1.5 story room. I've got a nested gable and Chief just doesn't want to cooperate with me where the forward gable and attic wall of the rearward gable basically bisect this exterior wall.  A picture is worth a thousand words, so see the two below for clarification.

The problem I'm having is that when I drag the interior side of the wall up to meet the ceiling it pulls the exterior side of the wall above the roof plane.  If I drag the exterior of the wall down, it pulls the interior down away from the ceiling and leaves a gap in the wall (or if I pull it down too far chief tries to build an attic wall in the gap and screws everything up).  I tried to split the wall polyline, as you can see in the picture, but Chief seems to just ignore the split. 

Very frustrating and I'm not sure what to do here.  I'm not very experienced with building 1.5 story homes in this program.  I built the first two floors and then did all the roofs with manual planes. I'm working in v X9. Plan is attached. 

Wall fight 1.PNG

Wall fight 2.PNG

Wall Fight.zip

I lost track of all the small changes I made. 

Used a ceiling plane and a solid to patch the hole. Figured you would need the extra thickness in the roof for insulation. Don't know why the walls are not going to the ceiling. Might be that extra thick wall inside the main layer.

Tried to clean up some of the exterior walls just outside this area too. Added a porch so there would be a ceiling. Set some walls to Balloon Through, and some to Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom.

Post back with questions.

ct1.thumb.jpg.f7fc88d3449a4883bb27ef4b73c584bc.jpg

Thack-Cape2_02 (eric).zip

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    IndiaCADWorks
    Newest Member
    IndiaCADWorks

• By Travis-Garcia
      I cannot seem to figure out how to make this exposed gable have the same shiplap siding on it that the house has. I built the patio piece by piece using framing members and added roof planes and ceiling planes then added the gable. Now II cannot figure out how to add siding. 

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2021

• By KarenMM
      Working on a new house plan, using CAPx12. Haven't had this problem since I started and of course it would happen on a deadline.
      My exterior wall is shown with house wrap in perspective view. That's it. No siding, even though that's the default. It's connecting walls show correctly with siding. I've deleted it, redrawn it, moved it and I'm at a loss. I've checked it's properties and it reads correctly. I can't figure out what I'm missing. Anyone have any suggestions for me? 
      Thank you!
      Karen MM
      CAPx12
      Windows 10 Pro
      HP Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz   1.80 GHz
      8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)
      Winchester VA 

• By Doug-ib
      First post here, this is my first attempt at roof truss. As you will see in the PDF attached the gables that are on the front of the duplex are being supported by the truss that are running in the vertical direction. I am wondering if this is normal as i cannot seem to create truss for the gables on the font of the home. If there is a more effective means of building roof truss for roofs of this style id love to hear them.
      truss question.pdf front view.pdf
    • By since1937
      How can I enclose the roof overhang so the beams/trusses aren’t exposed when walking outside from French doors? In the picture I colored in red where I’m trying to not have an open overhang. The overhang is 8’, and I will have structural posts to hold up overhang.

• By aurorainteriors
      Hi All.

Still new to the program and figuring things out. I have built an automatic roof and am trying to modify it to be a gable roof instead of the default hip roof. I have watched the various videos on how to do this as well as read through forums and have not been able to figure out why my roof will not adjust to a gable after changing each wall to be a gable setting. I've attached screenshots and uploaded the file. The client only wanted a model for purposes of seeing a new deck/stair option and paint color so the roof isn't the most important thing but I still want it to resemble their house. 

Thanks,
      Krissy
      Chief Architect Premier X12 (64 bit)

Bristol House.plan