ChiefGrego

Roofs That do not follow The Rules

I thought about these two houses I'd modeled when first looking at yours. Both both had similar problems.

ct1.thumb.jpg.59f60934945ebd6ad39d57f21caeab94.jpgct2.thumb.jpg.c482ecdd1c3046241869c47ed79b2cdd.jpg

If you are not starting with auto roofs, I would encourage you to do so, especially on more complex roofs -- especially hip roofs. 

This shows auto built on the bottom, and after manual cleanup on top. Auto built roofs typically have more roof planes than are needed, but can be made better by adding additional walls as I did in the example posted above.

ct3.thumb.jpg.5b816391e00464a82a6a8f887814fd0d.jpg

2 hours ago, solver said:

I thought about these two houses I'd modeled when first looking at yours. Both both had similar problems.

Really nice....Big box looks really good.  What is the pitch at two story? Eaves flatten out which was look I was goinf for for.  Can you tell me setting for pitch and location of pitch in relation to baseline? And the textures on the comp. shingle is smooth and doesn't look like the pattern repeats.  Not to start another topic but I'm having trouble with that and staring to wonder if it has to do with graphic card.  ( invidea x470)

Edited by ChiefGrego
wanted to add to the coment

7 minutes ago, ChiefGrego said:

You didn't attach your version

Post #8

32 minutes ago, ChiefGrego said:

What is the pitch at two story? Eaves flatten out which was look I was goinf for for.  Can you tell me setting for pitch and location of pitch in relation to baseline?

14 and I think 7 for the pitch. 12" in from baseline, but that depends on wall structure and overhang.

This is a good example of where auto roofs work well. 

36 minutes ago, ChiefGrego said:

And the textures on the comp. shingle is smooth and doesn't look like the pattern repeats. 

I always use the default black asphalt shingles. Painting them if I need a different color. Here is the same shingle painted a gray.

I believe there are bump and normal maps available which may change the look.

ct4.thumb.jpg.c61dad55b7a64966dc47bd3db22b3334.jpg

On 2/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, ChiefGrego said:

Alaska didn't attach his version

Didn't feel like I needed to.  I was just suggesting a possible starting point and it only takes a matter of seconds to test out the settings yourself.  Are you familiar with changing the roof pitch using your wall settings?

That it solver!...What I am looking for...notice you cleaned up where the ridge falls in or how they stack above the bedroom.  

I dropped the ceiling in the front room to match the remainder of the house, which cleaned up the roof on the left side, and dropped the roof over the porch.

This last one dropped the ceiling to 10'.

ct1.thumb.jpg.07d32f6b69a8abbe678db82fef0c155f.jpg

Getting Closer Solver.  Went back and made it look as close to yours as I could then started playing with the plate heights again. I am not sure but wondering if plate height changes allow for second pitch at eaves to work better.  Anyway, all in all I think your version is the cleaner (plate heights the same) of the looks.  

another.jpg

The front facing hips are 24:12, and the remainder of the roof is 12:12 on the house I posted above.

I did this one with the 2 pitch roof too. 

ct1.thumb.jpg.f921c23c3922838f98dfc85f5f718fbe.jpg

12 hours ago, ChiefGrego said:

wondering if plate height changes allow for second pitch at eaves to work better.

These 2 settings change how Chief handles mixed pitch roofs. Unfortunately, they still get it wrong.

ct4.thumb.jpg.3e4efefd33c5688e1a500430e3c4b3b5.jpg

ct7.thumb.jpg.5541fd11ba2973650fe6c5842f580236.jpgct8.thumb.jpg.45ac385a95fec24ab844215857448cac.jpgct6.thumb.jpg.55d2a2871cb01ec961f06b955638b420.jpg