Arched gable wall "niche"

Hi, using X9 and trying to get a simple gable end, attic wall arched "pass-through" detail like shown in the attached picture. I am using the wall niche tool to try and achieve this - Is this the best way?

The major issues are:

1) The niche has a bottom too it that I would rather not have. You can see it bleeding through a bit here, Not the end of the world as its not really visible from most views (but I really hate cheating!!)

2) I want to be able to put a window in the rear of the niche but its being framed at the main layer. I have tried creating a new wall type and messing with the layer order but cant get window to recess back,...

Amy help would be greatly appreciated!

Gable Niche.jpg

Edited by Tdgdesign
Forgot to upload pic :(

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rander
    Newest Member
    Rander

• By Ak49GCD
      Hey everyone, I've been searching for an answer on this issue but can't figure it out. The shelves are not going into the wall niche, is there any specific reason as to why? I've adjusted the sizes both width and depth thinking maybe they were too large to go into the niche (even though the shelves are 1/2" smaller in each dimension compared to the niche.) Thanks for any advice.

• By intendo
      The red arrows point to the problem area.
      The outside wall and interior wall at the closet intersect with the valley where the two roof planes intersect.
      The interior of the room creates an attic wall (with exterior siding) above the closet (NOTE: Ceiling was removed to get image)
      The plan view shows where the roof planes intersect at the valley. I have the same problem on the other side of the house because it is symmetrical.
      The plan is too large (65MB) but here is the model (https://3d-viewer.chiefarchitect.com/go?share=543146417714334).

Any suggestion on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

• By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By ChiefArchitect
      Option 4 of the Paradise Rises project includes a finished half story above the standard floor plan. We included dormers suited to different architectural styles to make use of the attic space. This illustration shows the layout available with the Craftsman style dormers, you can see the full selection of plan variations under the Paradise Rises project on our Samples Page.
    • By Remodel8er
      I have been using Chief X11 and cannot seem to open a dialog box to name a room on the second floor or attic. I get a dialog box that starts with Select Object
      Help!