Cathedral ceilings and roof lines.

Handwerk_Arts

I have run into an issue that I am frustrated with. I have many years of experience with Home designer, but recently upgraded. Never had a need for advanced roof design, but am just learning that now. I am learning to build roofs with polylines, At any rate...I have converted and made changes to an existing plan that has yet to be built. The front entry and living room, specifically.

The issue I am having is this: I need the Living room to have a cathedral ceiling/ gabled roof with the roof  extended out to meet the porch that wraps around the house, as shown in the elevation rendering from the original plan. Likewise, I have added an entry that needs to be a smaller carbon copy of that. As shown in the rough drawing. The cathedral ceiling/ gabled roof that extends from the deck edge into the hall, where the kitchen starts. The kitchen and dining room in the plan have flat ceilings. I have tried a number of things to accomplish that for the last day, but something on the roof always goes wrong.  There clearly needs to be a sloping valley between the two gabled roofs, as well,  and I have no idea how to accomplish that. I would greatly appreciate anyone that can either fix the plan, or explain what I am missing. 20 videos and many hours of reading and i am still stuck.

Thank you kindly in advance, Tim

elevations.png

Scala_Working_Model.plan

IMG_20170828_183045569.jpg

Just now, solver said:

What part of what I showed is causing a problem?

I auto built that, but I imaging to make it correct, you will need to draw your own roof and ceiling planes.

I had managed to accomplish the same thing you did. My issue is that those gables and roof lines need to continue into their perspective rooms. The larger one into the far wall through the living room. creating a cathedral ceiling. And the smaller one, a cathedral into the entry, past the entry/hall wall into the hall, and then stopping at the kitchen.

Just now, Handwerk_Arts said:

I had managed to accomplish the same thing you did. My issue is that those gables and roof lines need to continue into their perspective rooms. The larger one into the far wall through the living room. creating a cathedral ceiling. And the smaller one, a cathedral into the entry, past the entry/hall wall into the hall, and then stopping at the kitchen.

I have the ceilings turned off, the walls set the gable. I followed the videos but i am missing something. Do I just disregard the roof as is and complete everything else inside?

10 minutes ago, Handwerk_Arts said:

I have the ceilings turned off, the walls set the gable. I followed the videos but i am missing something. Do I just disregard the roof as is and complete everything else inside?

My other issue was manipulating the poly roof lines manually, and getting the roof to transform correctly.

past the wall.

1 minute ago, solver said:

Where you wanted vaulted ceilings ...

ct1.thumb.jpg.52b8ccabdc02111af7c9e9657c9efcb7.jpg

Depending on the structure, I imaging you will need to draw in ceiling planes in these rooms too.

Yes on the living room. And the hall and entry on the right for the other.

And yes on the Roof Baseline Polyline. That is the one that I made green.

Thank you so much for your help! You're a lifesaver!  I have a meeting with the client tomorrow, and this was a great help.
I have another big job soon if you would like some extra work, I may be looking to hire someone for part of the plan.

Tim

Tim:

That sure looks like a WOW project for you.

I was wondering if it was possible to get a little bit of separation from the front entry (porch) area from the large gable (porch) area such that you don't need to have a cricket built between the two roof planes.  I was also wondering if the design wouldn't look better if the main gable was bumped out from the rest of the roof lines since it is the main focal point (other than maybe the turret on the left ... or the mass of the whole roof) ... perhaps 2' minimum or maybe even more.  I was also wondering if a curved roof to mirror the main entry transom wouldn't look nice as opposed to having two gables side by side forming a 'V'?  So, I had a little play of your model and this is what I came up with (without moving the entry porch over):

CT-FrontElev.thumb.JPG.9c256e14adc1c87dbb96c71c1967a412.JPG     CT-3DFullOV.thumb.JPG.25c114abee4a493191fd7d4be6635570.JPG      CT-PlanView.thumb.JPG.a88a61908a0fb958f54b46d9d0e53f6d.JPG

I am not any good at doing curved roofs or ceilings ... I just change some of the settings until I got the entry porch roof to more or less match the curvature of the transom over the entry door.  Just a thought.  I am not a big fan of designs that have two gables S X S where crickets are needed for drainage.