DESIGN COACHING for DIY'ers by Licensed Architect

Richard_Morrison

Is your design all that it could be? You're probably going to be spending tens -- if not hundreds -- of thousands of dollars on your project. Isn't it worth getting some good design advice from a seasoned pro? I've been on these forums for almost twenty years, and see many people posting their designs, hoping to pick the brains of everyone else. But let's be frank. The people who can give you the best advice do this for a living, and you need more help than can provided in a few well-meaning comments from other amateurs. I see some of these designs and think to myself, "Gosh, if they'd just put the kitchen over there, and flipped the bathroom over to the other side, they'd have a really great plan." I see roof lines that are a mess, windows that are ill-proportioned for the house, rooms that will be difficult to get furniture into, weird uses of materials on the facade, or kitchens that have layouts that are practically unusable. Ack! Enough lipstick on pigs.

As an experiment, I'm offering a flat-rate consultation to help you get your own designs headed in the right direction. I am a licensed California architect and interior designer with over THIRTY YEARS of experience. You send me your designs in Chief Architect format along with your thoughts and goals by e-mail, and we'll have up to a two-hour online session where you'll get a "crit session" similar to what my architecture professors gave me, with suggestions on how to improve your design. I will be kind, but honest. If I see opportunities that you have missed or problems that I see, I'll tell you. You can ask any questions you want to, even about your project in general. If you later need to buy another hour or two, that can be arranged. However, I'm not going to do construction drawings or even detailed design drawings. This is intended to be a coaching session to help you do it yourself, not to sell you my own full-blown design services.

I also have done sessions for design-build contractors who might aren't completely self-confident about their design skills. Even if you haven't gone to architecture school, you can now look like you have! 

If interested, go to http://www.richardmorrison.com/online-design-coaching/ . Thanks!

• Upvote 1