Case of the missing cad detail in layout

Northriver

This morning I imported a DWG filke into a cad detail. The DWG file had 6 details in it scattered around on the page I imported. I zoomed into the one I needed and sent to layout and cropped the portal box down to just outside the detail. I went back to the cad detail and started arranging those details into 2 rows and 2 colums (I now know I should have done that first) I zoomed in on another detail and sent it to the same page and when I cropped down the portal box I noticed the other detail missing on my sheet. I pulled back the cop lines and could see the updated version of the way I had organized the details. After screwing around for about an hour I started moving the details around in the plan file and could see the details moving within the cropped portal boxes. I finally figured out if you make a cad detail do not move the detail from its original XY position. I am now wondering if the same thing would happen if I selected the whole house and moved it from its original XY position. It makes sense since everything that is placed from the plan file to the layout file is a live view from the plan file.

I just thought I would share my discovery for anyone just starting out using Chief as I am sure everyone else already knows this. Again another issue not listed in the manual.