Help with Chief Architect 10

BlackWidow

Hi folks,

YES...I'm still using C.A version 10.08, LOL!!!! I hardly ever use this anymore but have a little project I need to draw. We want to put an addition on the back of a house but this house has some weird roof lines. I would like to draw some of the existing house to show how the new addition will look in an elevation. On the back of the house there is a dormer with a down sloping gable roof (do not know the correct terminolgy for this). The side of the house has a bay window with a weird gable end layout going on. I have attached pics of the house and know this is vague but if anyone could give me advice on how to draw that dormer and bay window configuration, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks for any help in advance.

post-1492-0-50914500-1401215383_thumb.jpg

post-1492-0-50342000-1401215451_thumb.jpg

The addition will be on the back of the house with a shed roof attaching to the existing roof.

-Greg T.

Regarding the dormer, It looks to me like those dormer roof planes aren't square to the house ... i.e. if you imagine them having level ridges, starting at the gable point of the dormer roof, the ridges for each roof plane would be heading at an angle roughly 15 to 25° either side of perpendicular.  In other words, the baselines for these two roof planes are at whatever the existing roof planes require.  If you knew all the specs .... dormer gable overhang, dormer roof plane pitches, dormer roof planes ridge length, main house roof pitch ... or perhaps a couple of those spec's, you should be able to come very close to replicating what you are showing on your images.  Of course if you don't want to get up on the roof to see what is there, you should be able to come close to what is shown by best guessing some of those spec's.  If you go up top to do some measuring, be careful!  Once you decide which way you are going to proceed, then position your roof planes and manually manipulate there shapes as needed and connect to the main roof.

For the bay, just bring your 2nd story room gable wall out so that it lines up with the outer bay wall.