Importing elevation point data from surveyor-provided DWG

TomHerrick

I've tried over and over again to import elevation data from my surveyor's DWG file and all I get are the major and minor contours, not the point data. I'm hoping to import the elevation points so that I can create a grading plan modifying my existing terrain. I'm extremely new to this software...

Yeah I'm not sure you can do that - I'm sure there's a way but I've not figured it out yet successfully.

I just fire up the elevation point tool and place new ones where the surveyor shows them. Also make sure you set the Label of the elevation point to the 'elevationf' so that it displays it's actual elevation.

Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 9.57.36 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

I recently imported dxf files from a few different programs. They would export contour lines and/or elevation data points. Had to make sure elevation data was included in the export because the contour lines had no elevation data associated with them. You'd have to select each polyline, convert it, then assign an elevation to it, i think.

Although the imported contour lines were more detailed and precise, all I needed was the elevation data points to create and then modify the terrain. 

P.S. each elevation point imports as crossed lines and a central elevation point. Double click too far from the center and the elevation data is not displayed. Also, they import as yellow, and i couldn't see them until dragging over an area.

I may be getting there...  My surveyor supplied me with a number of different files, including a comma-delimited .csv file of x-y-z data that includes Oregon State Plane northings and eastings, elevations, along with point IDs and descriptors for the type of point (edge of pavement, grass, etc.). I tried several times to import these data, but they came in all wrong until I re-ordered the columns and they came into an otherwise blank new plan in their proper spatial relationships. I could see where the points stopped around the edge of my house and shop buildings and they extended out to the property line. So, I've gotten that far, but have to figure out how to orient/locate them in a meaningful way so that I can use them to create an accurate representation of the property where my house is, and where the proposed addition will be located. The x and y values are in feet relative to a 0'-0' origin at a geodetic survey monument.
Got a ways to go before I get this right...