Roof Issues, stair issues, dormer issues

Thewoodmaster

This is an as built plan that's a carriage house built in 1890 that is being restored and the upstairs converted to living space. 

I'm having a few issues with this plan. 

First off, when I try to create a stair opening either manually, or using the stair opening tool it  wrecks the roof above it.  I put in a double wall on the outside of the stairs on the first floor, and that fixed most of it, but still get the ceiling all jacked up and a random wall framed down into the room from the roof above.  The weird part is it doesn't show up in the room in the 3d perspective, only on the 3d framing view.  I get that the simple solution is to just turn off auto roof rebuild, but I shouldn't have to do that to put in a stair opening.  That forces me to wait until everything else is completely finished roof wise to build the stair opening, and that's ridiculous, especially when these types of plans often need to be modified at a later point, and then I would have to manually draw or modify roof framing, potentially several times.

Secondly, I have generated two auto dormers, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get rid of the eyebrows generated in front of the dormers.  They sit on top of an existing shorter wall that holds up the roof that's about 70" tall.  I need to put a large patio door that will be half in the lower wall and half in the wall generated by the dormer.  Tried exploding the dormers and manually editing the roof planes, but that wrecks the fascia and cornice work, or causes the walls to get all wacky.  Tried setting the short walls to balloon through but that didn't work either.  I turned off the auto framing and got the wall issue sorted out by having the short lower wall balloon through, but I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the eyebrow roof in front of the dormer without wrecking some aspect of the roof, and if we end up having to change the dormer size or layout, have to go through all of that manual framing etc. again.

Third, and I have had this issue on other plans but just gave up trying to fix it, and just drew a wall to hide it,  but how do I get a wall to generate along the top of the stairs here so that it's open below follows the stair angle and covers the side of the stairs.  There should be an easy way to do that, virtually every house ever built has some iteration of this and on this particular plan there's not an option to just hide it with a full height wall.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 4.jpg

Carraige house3.zip Carraige house3.rar

3 hours ago, solver said:

You are creating a room that has a ceiling height. Try making its ceiling height the same as the surrounding room.

By "eyebrows" I guess you are referring to the short section of roof. Sounds like you want a wall dormer.

You will need to manually edit the roof plane and remove it, or create the dormer manually as I did here using auto roofs (or explode the manual dormer and delete the roof hole).

ct1.thumb.png.218028a44d56b3f5f973abe068b22cc3.png

I'd always have auto framing off and only turn it on when everything else is correct.

This is a common question. Here is a recent thread.

So I got everything fixed except the stairs.  I tried your pony wall suggestion, but the bottom part of my wall is hollow, and i couldn't figure out how to get the settings for the pony wall to make it look right.