3dconnexion 3d mouse roll input

BlueHandle

I'm having an issue with my 3DCONNEXION Space Pilot II in Chief Architect which I swear is new as of this week. Can someone with a 3D Mouse verify whether this is something Chief Architect always did, or is this maybe just a setting I accidentally bumped?

Chief Architect obviously doesn't allow its 3D model to roll - you always have a straight horizon. Which is fine, but I thought however that if you did a roll input with the 3D Mouse before it was just ignored? However, now it seems to block the rest of the 3D Mouse input and the camera operation just stops dead in its track if there is any kind of roll input.

So for example if you input a pan-left, and then try push bit harder on the mouse to pan faster, it will inevitably give a small bit of "roll-left" input as well, just based on the shape of the controller. This will stop the pan-left dead in its tracks. Similarly, the difference between a "tilt" and a "roll" action is a fraction of a degree on the controller. So doing a tilt with and then getting a bit of accidental roll in there causes a dead stop.

That's a problem because these are very subtle inputs. Try in a full 6-degree app like the 3Dconnexion Viewer, by doing a pan left/right only - the subject is inevitably going to roll a tiny bit as well because it's almost impossible to do the one input 100% without the other.

It's fine not actually doing the roll, but blocking the rest of the mouse input makes the navigation extremely jerky. And I could swear it didn't use to do this. Can someone else confirm?

3dconnexion.jpg

Of course after having struggled with it for 4 hours, I find the solution 30 minutes after posting...

In my 3DConnexion Properties for Chief Architect, in Advanced Settings, I somehow must have clicked "Dominant".

And then I realized it's not just that it can't do Roll+Pan together, I can't do ANY two operations together. One always wins (it just so happens that the roll does nothing, so when it wins it's much more obvious). But I couldn't move diagonally either... so effectively I was in "Frogger" mode.

Turned off "Dominant" and now the navigation is smooth as silk again. Argh.