Sign in to follow this  
Lee66cj5

stair tool cutting walls

I have a stair with open treads on one side for the first 5 1/2 treads then a solid wall hiding the rest of the treads. Under the stairs I have a partial laundry room that has a 2x6 wall instead of the 2x4 wall that encloses the rest of the stair.  I have 2 issues getting the stair to function correctly. the first issue is the 2x6 wall should be cut by the stair and the wall above the stair should become a 2x4 wall (we us a diagonal top plate at the bottom of the stringer height and build 2x4s above). The second issue is if I add a partial height wall below the stair then the side wall cuts below the stringer and makes an open tread stair above which I do not want. Does anyone have any ideas to fix these two issues?

Thanks,

Lee

Marwick.plan

Not sure I understand. 

Making notes in the plan itself -- pointing to the wall in question etc often helps.

This does not work with the stairs you have, which is why you don't see them.

I used a pony wall -- 2x6 lower and 2x4 upper. Reshaped in elevation to follow the stair.

ct1.thumb.jpg.ea28a21fb62c71b41dc9f278d31cf5a4.jpgct2.thumb.jpg.7e3d1ad186d56f917b2dc918dffb5346.jpg

To make the stair work, you may need to use 2 sections, the upper one without winders -- just narrower.