Make Parallel Tool Tricks + Lumion Tip

PACNWX6

Hello everyone! Just a quick trick I learned from a few gentlemen on this forum. I was having trouble getting my site plans to square up with my houses in a quick and easy manner.

Example- get a cad file from the surveyor. The property lines are all skewed. Lets say the front line is 90.121 degrees for example but you want it at 90 degrees and square to the house. Well if you group select the entire poly line and try to rotate it to be square with the front of the house, it won't be able to snap to 90 degrees for that one line. Sure you can take one line and make parallel to the front of the house but the rest of the property lines would stay the same.

Well Glennw and Richard Morrison both had some great input so I wanted to share it for others as this will save a ton of time!

- one option is group select the lines, then use the transform replicate button to rotate it to a specified degree.

-2nd is to grab one of the lines in that group then double click the "make parallel" button and it opens up a dialog to either change all lines in the group or just that one line. Then you can make that line you selected (along with the group) parallel to anything that will allow it.

This is the exact fix I was looking for and am very grateful for the tip so I wanted to share. Plus it may help with some other aspects as well. Hopefully this tip will help someone else!

Now for Lumion: (figure I would pay if fwd haha)

When I was looking at purchasing something like this the best option I found were lumion and lumen rt.

I found a few discussion where the folks were saying chief doesn't work with Lumion. Well it does and its works great! Its easy to export and import to lumion. I even use mac for my CA and PC for lumion and there are no issues.

All you have to do is go into "full perspective overview" camera. remove any layers you don't want to show up in you're model, then export as collide .dae 

It works perfect. So if you're on the fence about if lumion will work then Im here to tell you it will. I just did a large town house project with it. Only thing you want to do is figure out the best way to apply materials as there are many. I mostly keep my CA materials in place and just use a light map overlay with very low settings to brighten up the model materials in some cases. Im just starting to learn lumion but I will try and answer any questions you may have. Hopefully this will help! 

Cheers from Oregon, USA!

Kc

• 4 months later...