Terrain With Section Cut

RodCole

In the past there has been interest in ways that topo lines could be displayed in 3D views.      Here is a pic of the what it looks like using section cuts from another app and then importing the symbol back into Chief.

I found this file when I was doing some cleaning up of my user library and came by a model of terrain with a section cut that I had experimented with a while back. The reason I posted this is just to show what can be done using Chief along with other apps.  The section cut was done in TurboCAD, but made from terrain created originally in Chief.

You will have to imagine what the entire thing would look like if completed regarding the steps produced using sectioning tools in TC.  Once I saw what could be accomplished I have moved on to working with realistic excavation cuts and trenching.  That was a request from the engineer on a recent project, but it will have to wait till time permits.  This is part of my project regarding 3D pdf files created from leveraging CA models in relation to BIM.  At least my version of BIM.

Some of what I like about this method is that it does give the appearance of a fairly clean topo line.  Once exported the terrain from CA can be maniputated in ways not easily accomplished in Chief.  I also like that the angle of the steps can be set as desired.  Mostly personal taste, but I do like it better with a slight slope to the verticle edges.  What is shown was produced using a 90 degree draft angle, but it can be set however you like.  I also like that you can subtract geometry without having things go all wonky near the building and at the edges of the terrain.  Not a big deal, but it can have its advantages.

What I don't like is that it is tedious to do.  That is part of why this was never finished.  That and I need to figure out how to get excavation cuts and trenching to work together with the steps.  At least I think I do at this time.  I will know better once I get back to this more seriously later on.  I also find it difficult to combine Chief's library items along with the terrain imported into Chief.  I have not worked much with this yet, but my goal is to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

Many have posted their comments regarding other methods of producing a similar effect.  Just thought someone might be interested in other alternatives that are available.

Edit:  Part of imagining would be to imagine the entire site along with the building model as a single color similar to cardboard models.  My personal favorite is to view the scene in clay model mode in Octane Render.  It is not an actual physical model like a paper model, but it can provide a very interesting alternative.

post-228-0-47667600-1410919418_thumb.jpg