Pyramid shaped chimney cap

SNestor

Yusuf's method is a great example of how to create 3D Faces by snapping to another 3D object. 

This can also be done by using (2) 3D Boxes as the snap-to objects.  That way you only need to add the trapezoidal Faces.  You could even use a truncated pyramid and explode it to create those Faces and then edit them by snapping to the boxes.

The key to this editing is to have "Object Snaps" ON.

Thanks all guys, we all have learned a lot from this forum and I am really great full to those who have shared their knowledge with us all tought us what what what we know today.

thanks Glenn,Joe, Val and all of you for the kind words.

Yusef, Are the wire frames simple 1/16" - 1/8" molding p-lines set at different heights and shapes?

thanks Larry, I see Michael answered it well. I will post how to model twisted chimneys as the one attached using this wire frame method. I hope that will also explain more about how to.

thanks

post-2517-0-94808200-1466622189_thumb.jpg

Thanks Yusuf,  That was incredible, you have such a great talent for this.  I suppose to build with bricks you would use all the same principals with polyline solids?

Chopsaw thanks for the complements, and sure you are right 100%, with the same concept of transform and replicate tool, you should be able to do that using plolyline solids.

thanks

• 3 months later...

Tried this out and found it pretty cool.  For the project at hand, the chimney cap, I did something using p'line solids first, then slabs.

Either way, the face tool snaps to corners, but only the corners of the defining first face of the slab or p'line.  So with doing it using these, you are constrained to snaps only there.

But hey, it works.  Each face created is a separate object, and thus can be painted any texture.  

Since I'm a Sketchup user, I would go to that tool and import the object into Chief, but this face tool might come in handy for something, and I'll remember it.

Thanks, Yusuf, for the lead and the demo videos.

post-55-0-92183800-1477324134_thumb.png