Chief Architect 10 on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10

linChief

Just wanted to share some installation instructions for the older Chief Architect 10 on newer Windows OS, including Windows 10 without using a virtual machine.

The instructions are the same for each OS.

Here are the steps to follow to install Chief Architect 10:

1.  Install Chief 10 normally

Note: during the install it will complain about not being able to install the Aladdin Device driver - just click OK.

2.  Download and install the Chief Architect 10.08b Full Update for Windows Vista (works with Windows 7/8/10)
     http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates/update10fhist.html

Note: during the update it will complain about not being able to install the Aladdin Device driver just click ok.

3. A) Download and install the following HASP USB Key driver.

Sentinel HASP/LDK - Windows GUI Run-time Installer – required for HASP4 API older than v8.0
    http://sentinelcustomer.safenet-inc.com/DownloadNotice.aspx?dID=8589947119

3. B)Optional - One user had a standalone key (Gray Label), that said "SafeNet Sentinel" on it and had to download and install a different USB Key driver:

Sentinel Driver     v7.5.9     Sentinel SuperPro, UltraPro SentinelPro, SHK From:
ftp://ftp.cis-app.com/pub/hasp/Sentinel_Legacy/SPI/Sentinel-System-Driver-Installer-7.5.9_Windows.zip

4. Finish installation on first run of Chief - Right-click on Chief Architect 10 icon and choose "run as administrator".

Note: Right-click on the Chief icon and choosing to "run as administrator" for first run, this is not needed after finishing setup during the first run.

5. If it asks you when it starts up to check for updates for Chief, select No or Cancel since we've already done that by downloading the latest (and last) update for Cheif 10 in step 2 above.

Enjoy your version of Chief Architect 10 on Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7.

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much! I was afraid to experiencing issues with Windows 10 upgrade, but I did it. Chief 10 works quite well. The only thing is 3D renderings don't export. I get plan views instead.  I didn't reinstall Chief after the upgrade to win 10. Maybe I should.

• 6 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:21 PM, linChief said:

Just wanted to share some installation instructions for the older Chief Architect 10 on newer Windows OS, including Windows 10 without using a virtual machine

Thanks for the info. This process worked well. I opened and worked with my Chief 10 on Windows 10. However, I did find that my 3D views were significantly slower than my old CPU operating on XP. Any thoughts?

• 3 years later...

November 2020

This is an old thread but maybe this will help someone.

Had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall Chief Ver 10.0 in a fresh install of Windows 10, latest version 1004 with all current updates through November 2020. Yes Chief Architect Version 10/10.08 still works and I am too cheap and hardly use it enough to justify any upgrade. After installing version 10.0 from my saved installation files, Windows 10 would not allow me to open the Chief Architect program as the User Account Control (UAC) security stopped the program from opening. I had to go into Registry Edit and turn UAC off (note many online articles as how to do this and turn it on and off). After the install of Chief Architect 10.0, the program could not find the HASP key. Took a while but I found the following to get new hasp key drivers. I suggest deleting all old Hasp Key drivers (mine were Aladin files/drivers) prior to installing the new downloaded files/drivers (which will be Sentinel). Once I got the Hasp Key recognized I updated to 10.08 and Chief 10.08 works as normal..

Go to step 3 for the file to download the drivers. Please uninstall any old drivers first. You may need to insert the hasp key for the files/drivers to show in Control Panel/Device Manager/USB controllers to uninstall them.

1.  Went to site: Thales Customer Support Portal at: https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm/?id=portal_home_page
then using their search look for the following: hasp driver chief architect

2.  That search will lead to the following page:

https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm/?id=kb_search&q=hasp drivers chief architect

where you will look for: Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Run-Time-Installer 8.13

3.  This is the download site for the driver:  

There no spaces in this address. This thread would not allow word wrap for the long string.

https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm/?sys_kb_id=61fb0ee1dbd2e78cfe0aff3dbf9619ab&id=kb_article_view&sysparm_rank=21&sysparm_tsqueryId=957514cbdb9ce41080b234523996196e

The following is the file description needed:

Sentinel® LDK and Sentinel HASP® Run-time Environment Installer GUI for Windows
Refer to the Readme file included in the package for details.

MD5 (Sentinel_LDK_Run-time_setup.zip) = 2b9a4dc20e6acc32cc9e4636b1d5eafa

Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Run-Time-installer 8.13 after being installed and then checking Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers shows:

Sentinel USB Key
Sentinel HL Key
Sentinel USB Key

all three show the driver version is actually 7.92.0.0 with a date of 03/29/2019

Hope this helps.

Bob Schroeder

Sarasota, FL

rschroeder@comcast.net

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the guide. I was able to get everything installed except for the driver for my hardware lock. I wasn't able to find the file you linked too. After entering my CD Key, I get the following error:

No ART hardware locks found.

SuperPro Error Code: 12 (Driver not installed)

HASP Error Code: -100 (Driver not installed)

Any idea on a working driver?

• 2 weeks later...