Edit Area Moulding Issue

FelthamUK

Dear Members,

I am a long time user of Chief (since 1999) and I have mixed feelings about the platform - some great functionality but lots of frustrations. I am in the process of evaluating Sketch-up Pro as it seems to be much more intuitive but I want to give Chief every chance, not least because I have used it an awful long time.  

I have just completed a 18 house development on X8. Whilst it went reasonably well, there are a number of frustrations (some new) that I have which I will introduce in turn that are just driving me insane.

Problem 1: I want to place / move a standard house type onto a development using edit area tools. I assume this is the only way of copying a complete house several times into a site-plan. When I rotate a house containing mouldings, they often end up displaced, sometimes all over the place i.e. 'space junk'.

I attach a simple example before and after using Edit Area (all floors) and this happens if I rotate more than about 20 degrees. Any thoughts?

Best Regards, Sean

Chief Architect Problem ROTATION USING EDIT AREA.pdf

I'm sure you will get a better answer than I can give, but believe I've seen similar questions about placing multiple houses on in a plan having to make 3D-symbols of each, and place them that way. Take a look at this:

KB 00344 Modeling a Subdivision or Lot with Multiple Structures ​for some reason I can't paste the link here but go to the CA site and check KB00344 

If your molding is really a polyline solid, and you are not using the 18.3 update, then you should download the update and use it.  We fixed a bug having to do with rotating polyline solids using edit area.

I could not find any problems with moldings when rotating a plan using edit area in 18.3.  If you are still having problems with the 18.3 update, you should submit a bug report to tech support so that we can evaluate it further.

Early on, I abandoned trying to use multiple Chief Architect models for commercial developments or residential developments. My first project was in 1999 and was frustratingly hard to do.

On my next one I exported each house to a 3DS model and then imported each house symbol into a single plan with detailed terrain plane, streets and sidewalks.

Each structure had its own plan file for com-doc purposes and the master plan had 3DS symbols of each structure in it making each structure handling as symbols. Much easier to handle.

DJP

By the way, the attached images were created in Chief Architect Premier version 7.

post-81-0-96894000-1466177779_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-96728900-1466177840_thumb.gif

Welcome Sean,

I don't recall seeing your posts before this but I see that you have 10 since the new forum began.  IAE, I find it very useful to see what's being said regularly - the Symbol approach to individual buildings in a development has been discussed from time to time and seems like the best way of doing it.

That said, it's generally best to strip out everything inside the buildings before creating the Symbols.  This minimizes the number of surfaces.

Thank-you Joe,

I usually only use Chief to produce simple appraisal layouts before buying my sites then my architects produce the remainder of the scheme, usually on Revit (which I think is impossible to use, the say 'Chief what?').

Once every year or five as time allows I produce a scheme myself and run into a load of problems (no great surprise).

I'm going to air all of my recent problems (and past ones) and then hopefully stay involved and up to date.

Noted regarding clearing out the unwanted items. My last file was 120MB and boy was it slow until I had a clean out. Why does Chief write to disk every time I edit something?

BR Sean