Cabinet wishes

mkennedy2000

I wish I could just tell a cabinet that it was a blind corner, I don't want to hold the adjacent cabinet away some random distance, nor do I want to add a filler.

It would be nice if the little perspective or elevation view showed the blind corner correctly.

I'd like to be able to drop a stock farmhouse sink in a sink base, and likewise have it display correctly. (TY Joe for the Ikea sink, but I need a single basin).

I almost never want my cabinets to use different material - kicks, frames, doors and so on should be the same - I'll reserve shelves and interiors, but on the whole, I wish all the materials changed at once, unless otherwise instructed.

I struggle with countertops at farmhouse sinks.

I wish I could put a toekick on a wall cabinet, often use them for shallow bases and have to label them all by hand, build toekicks, blah blah blah.

I wish I had a back of the island tool, like a custom countertop perhaps? Or a wall region?

I wish I had a better way to build chefs tables - I use millwork legs, p-solids fore the skirts.

I wish countertops didnt have radiused corners, often confuse issues and makes resizing difficult.

I wish modifications in compnonents were persistent, just cuz i change the cabient size by an inch doesn't mean I don't want the pullout tray I specced. Maybe let me insert a macro in the comments reflecting some aspect of the cabient spec in fact.

So, any suggestion or beset\better practices would be very welcome.

Lots of suggestions when I have enough time to sit down and write them up. For starters though, you can easily create a blind corner by...
A. Setting your defaults to automatically create blind corners.

Edit:  Just got back to my computer and I see that automatically created blind corners do indeed display incorrectly in the schedule.  Never noticed that but I also don't do them that way...

B. My preferred method...Adjusting the left or right stile widths...

C. You can build them like most manufacturers would build them anyway...with an opening, separation, or blank area on the blind comer side.

Not sure I understand you "back of the island" issue. Can you not simply modify the face items for the back of the cabinet, use a wall, use a polyline solid, use a custom countertop, or maybe use a very shallow cabinet for whatever your needs might be?

Maybe it would help if you were to post an example.

For the countertop issue. Use custom countertops and you can remove the fillet. Couldn't get much easier than that. I'm away from my computer but isn't there a setting that controls the automatically created fillet anyway? Maybe I'm wrong...I don't know, I use custom countertops almost exclusively.

Not sure what to tell you about farmhouse sinks. I never mess with them. I really don't like them and therefore they've never worked there way into our designs...well, maybe one or 2 during the conceptual phase. I can't pretend I know what to do. Can someone explain to me what the problem with them is though and maybe I can help figure out a solution?

Seems like all a person needs to do is build the cabinet short and put a notch in the countertop.  We can even pretty easily put a notch in the cabinet if the sink is smaller than the cabinet front by splitting face items vertically and creating a blank area in the middle.  What am I missing?

Use your user library.

Build a blind base, lock the blind side and store it, reflect it and store it-do the same for wall cabinets. Done. Note-build any cabinets that require adjustment from the ones in the main menu bar, they follow plan defaults. Do not use the ones in the library or the cabinet configuration toolbar. While you're at it build drawer bases, microwave cabinets, ovens, fridge surrounds, etc. OR every time you build one place it in the library and use those.

Toe kick on wall cabinet-add a molding in the dbx and set it back as needed OR add a pline molding block it and add to the library. Add notes to the library for reuse-sense a pattern here? All of my mfg's offer shallow base cabinets so it's not an issue but IF I were using wall cabinets I would be telling the installer to build a sub base for it so don't see an issue here.

Counters and farm sinks are a PIA-easiest to adjust the counter in a 3 d view to begin with. At this point I have maybe a dozen saved-with counters-in the library or I take them from an older plan.

Use custom countertops-then your schedule will have the correct cabinet height-check off "NONE" for corner treatment on counterops in the default dbx and you won't get a radius corner.

There are legs in the library for building tables, custom ones get stored in the user library. Molding plines for aprons-draw it through the legs to begin with-add nodes at the legs, right click unwanted sections and select disconnect selected then delete.

Back of island use a cabinet set to what you want, that way it appears in the cabinet schedule with proper dimensions-keep a few in the library-wainscott panels with 2,3,4 panels, blank-I don't use beadboard but expect that is doable with a little nudge.

Components-I spec all of my own so that the schedule can match the order.

Add a sub category to cabinets in preferences-then add that to the cabinet component list-Joe Carrick posted how to do this a few times in the past-search forum.

Once added you can speck everything that needs to be sent to the maker and for the installer to know. Still a bit of a PIA so....

Save cabinets with the sub category already added to the component list in the library. Save a cabinets a few cabinets with your most commonly used mods.

Save codes for modifications and accessories in a :spreadsheet, text box, library, clipboard utility, word doc....copy and paste.

If you find the user library unwieldy use warehouse plans instead-copy and paste.

One more thing, we have template plans for each brand/construction (inset,frameless,full overlay) that already have the most commonly used cabinets (with mods & accesries) in them. Move, resize,copy as needed.

Absolutely true Dermot. But if you want the cabinets height to be correct in a schedule you have to use custom tops ...

and unless I'm missing something it is the only way to avoid nodes at each cabinet when you want to edit the overhand for a section?