Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 is not compatible

Alisa_Dorado

My Graphics card is not compatible with the new version of Chief Architect software. Since I've updated my graphics performance has greatly reduced. I've been using the older version since I cannot upgrade right now. Any drawings made in the newer version cannot be saved down to the older version to allow rendering. Is there any way to get around this and render my views in the newer version while I wait for my company to update my workstation?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Inadequate is just that, inadequate. Nothing you do other than upgrading that video card will do anything positive. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but your video card determines general performance and Chief Architect requires a good quality video card.

DJP

See this discussion of your card by other users:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864961722069408943/

Good advice Graham.  Turning off shadows alone might make X8 workable.  During one of the Windows 10 upgrades I think it was, my laptop switched to using the built in GPU for a while which really slowed things down for me.  Before I figured that out though, I was able to make things workable again by turning shadows off...made a major difference for me.

intel4000 wont show shadows correctly in chief x7 onwards.

turn off anything to do with shadows for x7, x8, and it will half run.

but ultimately you need better graphics - i had a sweet sony quad core notebook with intel 4000 and 1gb hd graphcis,

and was peeved when x7 came out and they had fundamentally changed how the graphics worked,

rendering my sony basically unuseable, forcing an upgrade, even though it was well within spec.

sony would not support/update the driver.

I have similar thoughts. I am surprised that the new update is forcing me to get a whole new workstation essentially. My company is paying for it but pretty soon my personal laptop will not be compatible. Oh well, such is life. 

This will always be one of those topics that come up as software advances.

The best advice I can give for the long term is to keep your purpose for your computer in mind when deciding which one to buy. We are accustom to walking into a retail store and just buying something off the shelf but, you can usually find comparable prices for better systems online.

For example, I found my HP laptop during cyber Monday for less than $500. It came with a 1GB gaming card and has been running Chief without a problem since version X3. I'm sure I'll reach a limit at some point but 5yrs. is not a bad return for the price.

That's good advice. Thank you Kirk. Since I will be getting a new workstation I have been researching the best one and the best graphic cards. So far I'm finding the NVidia GeForce and AMD Radeon are pretty good. I'm concerned about the price. Since my job is paying the bill, I don't want to go overboard and get something unnecessarily powerful. But at the same time I need something with lasting power. I found that the Dell Precision 3000 comes with the NVidia already and is better for long term rendering capabilities. I have a quote from my IT company that has the Dell Optiplex as meeting the minimum requirements. Online forums on the optiplex have mixed reviews but ultimately they say that this cpu isn't powerful enough for what I'm needing. There's a lot of information out there, and a lot of intelligent people with differing opinions so it's difficult to really know what is best. 

Well, to muddy the waters a little more, in my experience I receive fewer video card-related calls on NVIDIA Geforce than I do on ATI Radeon. My personal recommendation is to find any card where the second number in the model number is a 6 or higher. The 6 cards are all in their high-performance gaming line. You can see from this graph that most of the Geforce *60 cards rank pretty high in comparison to other cards out there:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I would avoid Quadro and FirePro lines though as they are not optimized for gaming. They are engineered with computation in mind. The high-end models seem to work most of the time but it's hit or miss. If 3D modeling and rendering are your primary focus, stick with a gaming card from the Geforce or Radeon lines.

That helps, it confirms the majority of what I'm reading on other forums. I have a meeting in a week or two to discuss the new workstation. I'll be presenting my suggestions based on my research. Hopefully it's something my job can afford.

for a decent desktop capable of running Chief now and into the near future (5 years ?)

you should be able to stay sub $1000

for a laptop 17" sub $1500

personally I would recommend Win 7 Pro

others will recommend Win 10

(just not my cup of tea)

Lew

David

You might want to check out the newly released cards from nvidia.  The 1070 and 1080 are not that much more money and outperform the previous cards.  Probably best to wait a bit until more product is available though.

One of the main improvements, from what I understand, is the dual view capability for holographics.  They are also faster and have considerably more on board RAM.  I have a 2 Gig card currently, and even with large Chief models generally only use about 20 percent of capacity.