Help Please - 3D basement floors disappear...see long post below. Thanks

itsarainydayhere

Go to solution Solved by ShaneK,

Hi -

I've answered many questions with the expertise on this forum, but this is my first posting.  Perhaps many eyes will help with this one.  Thanks.

I have a plan file that seems to be corrupted.  I have been working with multiple versions of a file, then the customer wanted to significantly downsize.  So, we played around on a copy of the same file and derived a smaller floorplan.  As I was cleaning it up, I started getting portions of the basement floor that would disappear in the floor overview camera.  Also the stairs are not interacting correctly.  We changed the dimension of the floor trusses from 14" to 20", and the stairs keeps saying that it needs one riser to reach the next level, but when I choose that, it deletes the whole flight above or below the landing and substitutes one step for about 8.

I have tried saving out the defaults as a template.  I have gone back to earlier versions of the file that have had no trouble, reset all the defaults to what I need, tried deleting floors, drew the main floor outline completely from scratch, copied the main floor into a new file with completely different defaults, and the basement floor will not display correctly.  Usually if I generate a new floor derived from the first floor, the floor underneath the semi-circle disappears.  The finished floor will display on much of the room, but the basement slab is half missing under the floor.  Alternately, the bump out to the North will not generate.  At one point, I kept drawing smaller and smaller closets inside the room and I could get the missing floor down to a few square feet. 

Also, when the south wall was properly defined as a pony wall, the family room floor would display with a square and a radius chunk missing, and the rest of the basement rooms wouldn't have a floor.  Then if I unchecked floor beneath this room for the family room, that floor would disappear and the rest would appear.  This glitch got somewhat better when I changed the pony wall back to a full foundation wall.

Then, after I deleted everything, new file, fixed all template default setting before drawing anything, now the garage generates a foundation and the house doesn't.  I also tried drawing the basement walls and changing them to foundation walls manually, but it still did strange things.  I might be able to work around this way, but it is very time consuming.

My system is only about 15 months old and I haven't had problems with any other file. - had about 250 hours into a previous one without anything like this, multiple versions, back and forth to the laptop, etc.

I am running X7 build 17.3.2.2x64

Please advise.

Thanks,

Nick

HelpPlease.zip

So  -

No disappearing floors for you?  These are separate errors described above.  Makes me think I need to reinstall on this system.  The stair did appear to be better in the one plan file. 

So did you have any rendering errors on any of the three plan files?

Thanks,

Nick

post-4548-0-48972000-1466041176_thumb.png

post-4548-0-86417000-1466041183_thumb.png

Thanks.  I did download the trial, and it displays correctly.  I would still like to understand why my x7 suddenly stopped working reliably, but its probably worth upgrading to not lose any more time on it.

Thanks for your help - I hadn't thought of the trial version.

This is the only plan file, although I have about 6 derivatives similar to the 3 I posted that are all giving me this type of error.  I had worked with default settings so I think there must be some conflict within them.  I had even gone back to a previous version(no issues), wiped all drawing off, reset the defaults, and that produces the basement that only half draws. 

How did you accomplish that work around?

Thanks

Just got off the phone with Nigel in tech support -

Apparently, there is a known inconsistency with the radius wall tool that occasionally misbehaves like this - apparently if you change the radius wall to a straight wall then the vision field cuts go away.  The fix is what ShaneK posted above - no fix, just a simple workaround with the Make Room Polyline -> covert to slab.

Even though this did display correctly in X8 as noted above, Nigel stressed that there have been no changes of code between versions X7 and X8 in relation to this malfunction, so upgrading will not guarantee consistent performance.

I requested that if there were known defects and workarounds, Chief should post them in a knowledge base somewhere searchable - I looked all over the web and the forums here before I posted.

Thanks to all who viewed and helped.