Truss labels change when opeing a V7 file in V8

BlackDiamond

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

When opening a file in version 8 that was created and saved in version 7, my truss labels change. I believe it probably is due to the fact they have deleted the TR-0 (which I used to aid in layout but then always deleted).

Regardless.... do you know how to migrate a V7 file into V8 without losing my truss sequencing?

Thanks

No trusses should have been removed or changed.  The automatic truss labels started with "TR-0" in X7 and will now start with "TR-1" in X8. 

You can also manually specify any label you want for a truss the same way that you would other objects.  Select the truss in plan view and go to the label panel to make manual changes.

I think the only way to get what you're looking for would be to change the truss labels to a custom macro. Try this...

1. Open Text Macro Management, click New, and name the macro "Custom Truss" (or whatever you want).
2. In the Value field enter the following:

truss_number-1

3. Check "Evaluate", under Context select "Owner Object", and then click OK and Done
4. Group select your trusses (easiest way is probably to switch to the truss tool, hold down shift, and draw a marquis selection box around all your trusses), in the Label tab select Specify Label, and then enter the following:

TR-%Custom Truss%

Thanks for the info but the labels did change when the version 7 file was opened in version 8. What was TR-1 became TR-2, TR-2 became TR-3, TR-3 became TR-4, and TR-4 became the next number not used which was TR-23.

Luckily I can go in and modify the labels but I would prefer not to have to make corrections and just have the file open without it automatically making adjustments behind the scenes to my framing plans.

I start new plans in version 8 but occasionally have to go back to older plans to make changes or updates. It would be nice to know that everything is remaining as I drew it when opening it in version 8.

I take that back. I just opened another Version 7 plan in Version 8. This plan had trusses numbered from TR-1 up to TR-132. Once opened in Version 8 the numbering changed to TR-2 thru TR-133. It just added 1 to every truss. On a small plan, renumbering isn't such an issue but on this one it is impossible. Plus since my notes refer to the original numbering, leaving the revised numbering isn't an option.

• Solution

We assumed that no one would ever want their trusses to start at "0" and changed them all to start at "1" in X8.  We made a mistake by not adjusting the labels on legacy plans when bringing them into X8.  We will look into putting in a fix for this but I have no idea when that might be available. 

There are several ways you can deal with this problem for now:

- You can continue to work on the plan in X7 instead of bringing it into X8.

- You can manually edit the truss labels in X8 to display whatever you want it to display.

- You can use a custom macro in X8 to show the same label that X7 would have (using Michael's method mentioned above).

I would encourage you to always report problems like this directly to tech support.  Discussing problems on the forums is not the same as reporting them.

We assumed that no one would ever want their trusses to start at "0" and changed them all to start at "1" in X8.  We made a mistake by not adjusting the labels on legacy plans when bringing them into X8.  We will look into putting in a fix for this but I have no idea when that might be available. 

There are several ways you can deal with this problem for now:

- You can continue to work on the plan in X7 instead of bringing it into X8.

- You can manually edit the truss labels in X8 to display whatever you want it to display.

- You can use a custom macro in X8 to show the same label that X7 would have #using Michael's method mentioned above#.

I would encourage you to always report problems like this directly to tech support.  Discussing problems on the forums is not the same as reporting them.

Yes starting with truss 0 always drove me nuts.  I would create a throwaway floor truss to overcome the count problem.

With X8 we gained a schedule for the trusses, but at cost of complication in no longer being able to work within the truss details window as we could prior to X8 (which I would like back).  Once I got past my inertia for change, I have grudgingly moved on. I bring a lot of older plans forward and haven't noticed the numbering change - then again I haven't been looking for that.  I will now, thanks for pointing it out.