Live cad details

Northriver

Do they add a great deal to the file size? If not I would still like the option listed below.

I wish we had the window portal available in the plan file like we have in the layout file so we could narrow in the area of detail we want, make it a cad detail,  then pick the scale before sending to layout. I know I can make a detail out of a full plan view and convert to a cad detail and use masking blocks but that is a pain in the butt. The poly line around those window portals should be editable also.

Thanks

Jeff

Great suggestion Jeff, If you use any Cad Shape as a border in your cad detail and then trim to it you will reduce your file size and then do everything else you wanted. If there was an auto trim everything button that would be great.

I still like your idea so why not post it in "Suggestions".

P.S.  Here is a video that Glenn did that is almost auto trim: http://screencast.com/t/3cjMw4hj

Similar suggestions have been posted in the past and the overall idea isn't bad.  I personally don't feel its all that difficult to get what you're after right now though.  Here are a few ideas to consider...

1.  You don't have to create a CAD Detail in order to use a CAD mask and keep the view live.  Simply place a mask over your plan view and turn the mask on or off for any given layer set.  This is one area where "Make Copy of Active Layer Set" can be extremely beneficial.

2.  You can also very easily create a CAD mask over your actual layout box in lieu of reshaping the box itself...just takes a couple extra clicks.

3.  You can explore using CAD>Plan Footprint to essentially create plan view cameras.  They are basically live CAD Details and are saved in your project browser.  You can use whatever layer set you want and whatever CAD you draw (including masks) are part of the CAD Detail only and not the plan itself.  You also have the unique ability of being able to place multiple plan views in the same detail and you can move them around as necessary...you could have all floors visible in a single CAD detail and they can all be kept live.  There are some limitations as you can't use reference sets (although you can overlap views in layout) and if you have multiple floors or views in a single Plan Footprint CAD Detail they are all limited to using the same layer set.  Its definitely worth a look though. 

Anyway, those are just a few options that come to mind.