Work Flow for new users

boboncadwg-007

Is there a simple work flow chart available or can someone  put together...on paper, one that explains the process of building a plan set that starts with something like (not including setting defaults) 1. all floor plans start... here, 2 all remodels start... here. drawings depicting details start ...here, or are generated from ...here. etc. If you dont start "here", you cant get to ..."there". "Layout sets" and "layouts have to be created because of "this" and should be created at "this point" in the process or your "drawings" are all screwed up, you can't add or change anything on this sheet because you are in the wrong universe...., etc. There are a lot of great videos but they all assume that we are all on the same logic plane. I have not watched all the videos because I cant get comfortable with creating basic plans, let alone embelish them with all the great abilites available. Thanks.

In Chief Architect as stated in your Reference Manual and Users Guide (which you should read) it says to start on the first floor. If you have multiple floors then you proceed from the first floor up, then the foundation if all upper floors are done.

For remodeling projects I create a relationally correct "as built" plan file and then "save as" a copy of it for versions of additions and renovations.

The rest is merely drafting and its traditional procedures altered by your local building permit authority and its arbitraries. There is no "one way" to do hardly anything that we do, there is only your skill and intentions to get a product.

DJP 

• Upvote 1

This is not the first time this question has been asked but I think it's just too darn hard to answer in a way that works for more than a couple people.

One place to look for really extensive videos is ChiefTutor.com. LOTS of information that may help in you understanding.

Bob:

Hi: 

the others are correct as the famous poem goes - "let me count the ways..."

while most users create the complete as-built first then the remodel

I found it more convenient to concentrate on the remodel areas first

so the client could see the suggested design and alternatives faster

once we had the "finalized" design I would then create the as-built

so I could produce the permit set

a layout can have multiple plans assigned so like most users

there is one plan for remodel and one for as-built and the appropriate pages on the layout

sometimes I would create a "client presentation" layout that had the various alternatives

in separate plans and then assigned to that layout

some users combine foundation and basement as floor 0 (generally used by CA)

others prefer only the foundation on floor 0

some always create an extra upper floor to handle attics and dormers etc

others use floor A for some of that

probably best to get close to a "final" design before doing too much in the way of decorating

and adding high details

some use dozens and dozens of anno-sets

some use minimal anno-sets and only create another when needed

watch the Woodside tutorials as they go thru the complete process

then modify to match your own workflow choices

Lew

• 4 years later...

Still searching for more insights to what DAVIDJPOTTER says: ...relationally correct "as built" plan file and then "save as" a copy of it for versions of additions and renovations.

Does this mean framing should also be built out in as-built plan so remodel plan can show changes and new material more accurately?

Simple example- Kitchen getting new cabinets on existing floor plan.

But one window on exterior wall will be filled in as faux window and another exterior wall window will change in size.

Ok

I did view CA/Scott video #10211.

I think I see what you all are saying in my head now.

In my example: I do not need detail for demo framing on as-built windows as example. But I do for new remodel plan.

So just draw and use the details specifically needed out of that plan/ ("relationally") framing for new faux window and new resized window and the corresponding framing for their placement.