Problem when stepping footings and foundation

mfmclelland

OK, I designed a plan using Home Designer Pro. I then decided to bite the bullet and get the full CAP program so that I would have more options available. We opened the plan in CAP and most things seemed to be OK. Our lot slopes towards the front so we needed to step the foundation at the garage to lower it and get the house up so there would be less cutting of grade. I tried several ways of stepping the foundation but it always gave me weird problems. So I decided to start over fresh in CAP and see if the issues were coming from the Home Designer Pro Version. Now as I have started I have tried to do things in sequence and not get ahead of myself. The problem occurs where I am trying to step the foundation. It looks fine on the front elevation but when I take a camera shot from inside the garage I get these weird triangle things happening. I am including a set of the plans since right now they are small since I am just starting over. If you take some shots from the interior of  the garage from the back to the front corner by the porch,you'll see what I mean. I have also included an export of that shot. I want to step the foundation where the garage and the storage under the porch intersect. Everything I try gives me issues. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance if you can.

Mark

post-12156-0-57498200-1465604670_thumb.jpg

Olympic Lane Final.plan

David, Thanks for the informative video. Just to clarify when you first click on a wall in the video you are selecting the Room and then hitting tab to select the wall. So you must have your Preferences set to "Select Room Before Wall in 3D". That just threw me a little.

David, Thanks for the informative video. Just to clarify when you first click on a wall in the video you are selecting the Room and then hitting tab to select the wall. So you must have your Preferences set to "Select Room Before Wall in 3D". That just threw me a little. 

Right

DJP

Thanks for the video. You were actually doing the opposite of what I am trying to do but I got your point. The top of foundation were showing correctly everywhere but where the triangles are. You were actually lowering the areas that were fine and raising the area that needed to be stepped down. I tried to do what you were doing in the video before I posted here but that affected area just wouldn't show correct. But I think the point was the program isn't perfect and I need to quit obsessing over things that ultimately don't matter to the actual plans. Back in the old days when I drew plans on paper, we couldn't begin to show things we can in this program. I think we are always expecting software to do what we want without realizing the  extensive math in doing so and the endless possibilities that one user may throw at it. Thanks for taking the time!

Mark