Ray trace

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief, I'm using X-8

I'm getting two different colors showing up in the ray trace than in the perspective view.

I have a project that has a long over hang. This over hang is being supported by a beam

that itself is being supported by knee braces that are attached to the wall.

The knee braces and the beam are painted porcelain white. When I ray trace it the beam

has a grayish color while the knee braces are bright white. 

I created the beams using polyline solids I then changed the material to Fir. In the perspective

view I used the material eyedropper to select the color of the knee braces and apply it to the

beam. Looks right in the perspective view but not in the ray trace view.

I've added lights in front of and under the eaves to see if that would correct the color difference.

Still shows a grayish beam and bright white knee braces. Is there a way to correct this color

difference?

Thanks,

Mike

The materials eye dropper has five possible "Modes" which each can deliver a differing result. Look up the "Materials Eye dropper and Painter" in the Reference Manual to study and then practice with until you understand fully the differences between the different possible modes and their out comes.

DJP

Mike, You may not be doing anything wrong, the material painter has some deficiencies, most of which I am not fully aware but I have had trouble with painting polyline solids a white colour before.

Try two coats of paint just as in real life such as you would never expect in Virtual Reality or open the object and go to the materials panel and change it there then post your results.

An identical colour can raytrace a different shade if it is on horizontal and vertical surfaces due to light striking and reflecting back at a different angle. Assuming that there no material painter issues you can use a different white on each surface and adjust to compensate.

Graham

The fascia board, knee brace, beam and garage door and trim are all have the same color selected.

Each one has a slightly different shade of white. The knee brace which I selected from the core library

is the brightest white. The garage door is a little less bright white then the fascia board a little less bright.

Then you have the beam which is a light gray. I can see that the slight color differences would take place

depending on the direction of the light source. But the gray beam is right on top of the knee braces. Both

of them have vertical surfaces. I would have assumed that their colors would be close to each other.

I will try and play with the emissive setting s and see if that helps.

Thanks

Mike

Posting a pic would really be helpful so we can see what is happening. You can also change some settings in the Raytrace DBX that will alter how colors appear. Use "Uniform Intensity" instead of "Ambient Occlusion", turn off "Photon Mapping", set the "Direct Sunlight" to 0. This should help but it will also affect how other items appear as they are global type settings.

Graham

Bottom right...Click "More Reply Options".  Then click "Browse" and select your .PLAN file (you MUST make sure the plan is closed first).  Should be as easy as that.

If the plan file is too big you can either try zipping it, strip it down (do a Save As and delete everything that's unnecessary) or simply post a Dropbox link.

If the textures your using aren't from the core library you might need to "Backup Entire Plan" and attach that zipped folder rather than just the plan.

Thanks. 

Here is the plan. There is several other mock-ups on this plan as well. 

The one I'm talking about is the plan at the lower left side of the screen.

I have also attached the Ray trace image. If you look at the perspective

view the beam, fascia board and knee braces all appear bright white.

In the ray trace image the beam looks like a light gray.

Thanks,

Mike 

Truss Roof.zip

post-6482-0-39043700-1465697465_thumb.jpg

Your problem is that the beam is PAINTED the porcelain color (the color has been put over the top of the Fir texture).  When using the material painter, make sure you have Blend Colors With Materials (the little paint roller icon) toggled OFF.  There are very few circumstances where that setting should be toggled on IMO.

In the late 80's he move down to Simi Valley, Ca where I live after going through a divorce. He was doing architectural rendering when I meet him.

He told me that he use to be the base guitarist for Mitch Rider. I thought he was bullshitting me until a year latter when Mitch Rider came to L.A.

and we were invited back stage. After listening to the two of them talking about the old day for about an hour it was clear that he use to be a member

of the band.

John moved back to Alaska in 1991. We talk a couple of times a year. He is a Revit user. Every time we speak he spends at least a half hour trying

to convince me to switch to Revit.