Dormers

Nickdesigner

build your dormers and roof then use the break tool to break the roof planes around the dormers and connect the valley's of the roof and dormers, I always use the 3 key to break the roof planes and the 2 key to connect the valley's, make sure you select the main roof plane first then use the break tool

• 1 year later...

Chief 58, I've noticed that in order to set the main roof back to the wall after a break, I need to be sure to break well inside the dormer area.  I haven't even thought about connecting the gable dormer valley to the facia of main roof.  

I'm on a Mac so the keys may be a little different.  Am I making this harder than it should be?  Is there an easy way to do this.  How would you connect the dormer valley to the facia?

Mike

7 hours ago, ChiefWorkhorse said:

I am having a problem breaking the main roof to incorporate main wall and dormer wall. I broke the roof on 5 other dormers, but when copying dormer to adjacent wall and trying to break main roof to slide back to wall, I get an error message and a lot of problems.  

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 10.01.17 AM (2).png

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 10.05.25 AM (2).png

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 10.06.13 AM (2).png

you can use the Gable over Window ( Opening) Tool for that situation ( its not a Dormer really), if need be make the windows larger and even mull them together temporarily , build the Gable and then un-mull / resize the windows as needed.  The Gable seems to remember the Original size at least in my test plan....

M.

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Which is a shortcut to manually drawing a Gable/Roof Line and centering it on a window.

The Gable/Roof Line can be edited too -- pitch changed, made shorter or longer.

Yes ,,, but @ChiefWorkhorse didn't seem to understand you or the use of that tool so I posted an easier method since not everyone is as adept as you with the Manual Tools ...

M.