Layout Template Question

HumbleChief

Hope I can explain this. Seems like I've done this a hundred times but I'm not remembering the order of events.

I have a Layout Template and a Plan Template within that Layout. I start a new job and name everything to the new client's name. Jones Layout, Jones As Built Plan.

Reference the Jones plan to the Jones Layout close the Layout all is good. Elevations, roof, foundation etc. now reflect the Jones plan BUT they are reflecting the Jones 'as built' plan because I do mostly remodels and that's the first plan I create.

I 'save as' the as built to create my proposed plan send that to layout BUT my elevations etc. still reflect the 'as built' plan and I want them reflect the new proposed plan so I don't have to send each view again.

What am I missing?

It looks like I should create the As Built independent of the Layout, then name the Template Plan in the Layout as the Proposed so it will reflect all the roof foundation elevations etc., then send the As Built Plan over later. Dose that make any sense at all?

Tools > Layout > Referenced Plan Files... Browse & Select "Proposed Plan"  and it should be that simple unless I missed something.

That will reference the plan but I already have saved elevations that are saved from the As built plan that will update with every change to the As built plan but not the newly referenced Proposed Plan.

Then you will need to reference the As Built Plan as well for any layout views from that plan or just go with the Proposed Plan as all that info should be there also when you did the save as.

Try doing a save-as without the layout being open. We have been having similar issues as well and this seemed to clear up any layout confusion.

Start with the main plan that you want referenced in the layout, such as "proposed", and have this linked to the layout. After your as-built drawings are complete in this plan, do a save-as and name "as-built" - do this with the layout closed. This way you are always working in the proposed plan file, which is linked to the layout file.

Try doing a save-as without the layout being open. We have been having similar issues as well and this seemed to clear up any layout confusion.

Start with the main plan that you want referenced in the layout, such as "proposed", and have this linked to the layout. After your as-built drawings are complete in this plan, do a save-as and name "as-built" - do this with the layout closed. This way you are always working in the proposed plan file, which is linked to the layout file.

This. I forgot to 'Save As' the As built as the Proposed with the Layout opened. When doing a 'save as' with the Layout closed the Layout could only reference the As Built plan.

I fixed it by changing up and replacing the file names a couple times but it looks OK now.

I always start a job using the proposed plan and when I'm done drawing the existing, I do a save as existing plan ,from the proposed plan. Then you never have to re-send or rename anything. You just keep drawing the proposed and it keeps generating to the layout. I would just send the existing plan to its page

I always start a job using the proposed plan and when I'm done drawing the existing, I do a save as existing plan ,from the proposed plan. Then you never have to re-send or rename anything. You just keep drawing the proposed and it keeps generating to the layout. I would just send the existing plan to its page

That's interesting Perry and very helpful, even though a bit counter intuitive. I think I got the order wrong and will try your technique.

I'm not sure I follow everything you guys are doing but it sounds overly complicated. The way I operate I usually find it faster and easier to create new layouts from scratch for the majority of what I do; however, when I do use a layout template I simply relink the as-built views to my as built plan, relink the demo views to my demo plan, and relink the proposed views to my proposed plan. Easy peasy.

Are you perhaps trying to relink the entire layout instead of the individual boxes?

Are you perhaps trying to relink the entire layout instead of the individual boxes?

Yes Michael, I forgot that you could do that and can't find the tool or remember the procedure. This could solve many little problems if you care to re educate us.

Yes Michael, I forgot that you could do that and can't find the tool or remember the procedure. This could solve many little problems if you care to re educate us.

Just select the view and then click on the little Relink tool in the edit toolbar. Not at my computer but if I remember correctly it looks like a couple of zeros overlapping each other.

Just select the view and then click on the little Relink tool in the edit toolbar. Not at my computer but if I remember correctly it looks like a couple of zeros overlapping each other.

Yes I found it but for some reason it did not work the first time, I think somehow it was not available because the view I selected was on a cad detail within the layout file. But all is good now, so thanks. For others this is the tool.  post-4797-0-49109800-1465495654.jpg

I think you're doing something other than what we are talking about above. Any plan file can be re-linked to a Layout at any time using very simple means and creating a new Layout from scratch using Chief dilutes all of the power within Layout Templates. The technique referred to above is very simple, just hard to explain in a forum.

If your Layout Template is set up properly all elevations, roofing plans, foundation plans, sections etc. are automatically populated as you work on any new plan file, if that plan file is saved properly as explained by Perry above. Miss a step or get the order wrong then you have to proceed as Micheal and Chopsaw are suggesting above.

I think you're doing something other than what we are talking about above. Any plan file can be re-linked to a Layout at any time using very simple means and creating a new Layout from scratch using Chief dilutes all of the power within Layout Templates. The technique referred to above is very simple, just hard to explain in a forum.

If your Layout Template is set up properly all elevations, roofing plans, foundation plans, sections etc. are automatically populated as you work on any new plan file, if that plan file is saved properly as explained by Perry above. Miss a step or get the order wrong then you have to proceed as Micheal and Chopsaw are suggesting above.

I fully understand how to use templates and do use them from time to time. I just choose not to. I really don't find it all that difficult or time consuming to start from scratch for much of what I do. Contrary to what some of you dedicated full house plan guys think, there are a lot of benefits to not using a template.

Anyway Larry, you are the one having an issue and I was just suggesting that perhaps you need to relink individual views rather than the entire layout. It was just a thought.