Is there a way to turn off Auto-Room Name Behavior?

Cheryl_C_Crane

Is there a way to turn off Auto-Room Name Behavior? Gosh it just drives me nuts!

I have looked and searched, but don't see how to stop the program from naming every room Garage. I often draw the perimeter based on the setbacks, then locate where the garage will be. If I continue to draw interior walls, I will get a lot of Garage rooms. 

There must be a setting somewhere, I appreciate your thoughts!

OK, so What I must be doing is naming the whole footprint 1st! Instead, I should wait until I have progressed the preliminary plan a bit, and then name the Garage. This makes sense.

But, I still would like to just turn it Off. With open floor plans, I have found that I will label the whole space Family, then subdivide for Kit & Nook. Or, I will define a Bedroom and then figure where the closet should go.

I get interrupted a lot. It may be a few days before I come back to a plan. I don't want to loose my train of thought, so I tend to label early.

I often will work with Realtors in trying to sell a Lot. So, I do mostly Prelim stuff. I haven't done a full set of Construction Drawings in several years.

Thanks for your help. I will change my behavior since I can't change CA! Thanks again.

I agree, I'd rather the label of the newly carved out room not display.  And, if you are subdividing a room, it seems to me that it wouldn't be hard for Chief to not label the smaller of the divided spaces.

It comes down to the difference between drafting in Chief and designing in Chief. Annoying breaks in concentration detract from the design flow of thought.

• Upvote 2

I agree, I'd rather the label of the newly carved out room not display.  And, if you are subdividing a room, it seems to me that it wouldn't be hard for Chief to not label the smaller of the divided spaces.

It comes down to the difference between drafting in Chief and designing is Chief. Annoying breaks in concentration detract from the design flow of thought.

What Bryce said, EXACTLY!

Thanks to Ben, too!

It comes down to the difference between drafting in Chief and designing is Chief. Annoying breaks in concentration detract from the design flow of thought.

I agree with Ben and of course you. I think that Chief has to revisit many options that are automatically controlled be the program. Or at the least the ones that are hidden in the DBX choices. There are way to many controls that you have to turn on or off in  the DBX world. At least it would be great if Chief issued a list of these controls for us to have at our fingertips.

I agree with Ben and of course you. I think that Chief has to revisit many options that are automatically controlled be the program. Or at the least the ones that are hidden in the DBX choices. There are way to many controls that you have to turn on or off in  the DBX world. At least it would be great if Chief issued a list of these controls for us to have at our fingertips.

Yes, that is well put as well.

Ben, Ron, Bryce & I have been with CA for a long time and through many revisions. We are fortunate, I believe, because we are fairly well versed.  I'd be overwhelmed if it weren't for experience and this Board. We need an overhaul of DBXs and Libraries. (We have Accessories all over the place because as Bonus Libraries were added they came under new Library Folder titles).

I truly love Chief and hope that I don't sound like a malcontent - because I am not. We have seen great improvements throughout the revisions, otherwise, I let my SSA lapse.

That said, it is time to clean things up and get rid of the clutter!

OK, working on a plan today, and this is pretty annoying especially when really small rooms, or dead space is created...however, it can be helpful when larger rooms are created...just to get a quick size.  So I wonder if there is a way to just have rooms larger then say 10 x 10, or 12 x 12, or by square feet show the room name, and anything smaller have it named, but the label off by default.  If that is difficult to implement, or confusing for users to understand how and why it is working, then I would lean towards it being off by default.

Just some thoughts on this while designing a new project today.

it should be a preference setting

to have rooms labels off

Chief should set the room type based on the room it is being created from

but the room label can be anything or can be turned off

awhile back Chief would revert to the defaults and this would cause grief

lots of grief for messing up floor and ceiling heights etc

CA's solution was to retain the properties from the original room

Lew

A moment ago I saw a blind corner where we could sneak a little linen closet. Drew my 2 short walls to form the 24x30 tiny room, a POW there was a HUGE label BEDROOM. Clicked on the offending Label (because I couldn't click on the tiny room), pressed TAB, then set the room to closet, do not show label. 

Remember the line in the movie, "Amadeus", "Too many notes!"

A moment ago I saw a blind corner where we could sneak a little linen closet. Drew my 2 short walls to form the 24x30 tiny room, a POW there was a HUGE label BEDROOM. Clicked on the offending Label (because I couldn't click on the tiny room), pressed TAB, then set the room to closet, do not show label.

Remember the line in the movie, "Amadeus", "Too many notes!"

Kidding, I am.

You spend more time complaining about this than it takes you to fix it ;)

ps:  "Unspecified" automatically suppresses the label and the "Liveable Area"

Exactly..it's the small rooms that are a nuisance because you have to move/remove the label to continue designing.  This was the thought process behind my suggestion about a minimum room size for the label to appear....define the room, just keep the label off when smaller then the predefined minimum room size.

You spend more time complaining about this than it takes you to fix it

I just don't understand this attitude towards suggestions :(

Lew

Joe said he was "kidding"! :)

From the amount of posts it is evident that this is an 'annoying' feature, and I agree it is a PITA!

BTW, I like Ben's suggestion...