converting layouts to dwg file

Rytikom25

I need to convert my plans from Chief to dwg. I have 8 pages of layout. I tried to export it by each plan but when I export its a blank page in autocad however when I try to export the whole layout page its all jumbled up in autocad. How do I fix this? How do I make it look right in autocad? Any asap help would be appreciated.

BTW, on autocad they show up in the layout windows but not in the model window

The way I do it is to open my layout.

Then on page one I double click on the plan view or elevations on that page to open them in a plan view edit window. This way when you export that view to DWG it exports at a true scale of 1' =1' and can easily then be opened in AutoCAD at that same scale.

You go through the layout exporting each view from its plan view edit window. You can also print to PDF the entire layout as a reference to the dwg file exports for the intended AutoCAD person to use.

If you export from a layout page directly the resultant AutoCAD file will be scaled to the paper size of your layout making it more difficult for the AutoCAD recipient to then scale for his or her use. Do not waste your time confusing other people, keep it simple and straight forward please.

In short, convert the views and not just the layout, share the layout as a PDF file.

DJP

Thank you for the answer. Thats what I do, I double click on the plan to open it in edit mode, and then I export it, however when I open the autocad file it is empty in the the model window. Its not there, how do I make it show in the autocad?

I use a free AutoCAD application called "DWG TrueView" to view my exports before I send them. I am not sure what you are doing that is not working, carefully review what you are doing to see if you find any steps that are causing a failure. AutoCAD like Chief is "Version Sensitive" meaning if you send a current AutoCAD file to an AutoCAD user who is not using the current version, they will not be able to view the file properly.

What are you doing that is causing your failure?

DJP

In AutoCAD use 'Zoom Extents'.  It is there, it's just not on the screen.  The zoom extents will bring it into view.  Has to do with the origin location in Chief Architect.  I believe AutoCAD opens to 0,0 at the bottom left corner.  So if your Chief export isn't in that X,Y area, it will be offscreen.  Zoom Extents will center on the file, then you can save, and next time it opens it will be on screen.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...