Window shutters and trim

builtright3

There should be no need to place your shutters manually.

Take a look at the shutters panel in the window dialog.  You already have full control over the position and size of the shutters.

The only thing you can't do is control the offset from the wall but I don't think you need this.

The lintel needs to not over lap the window frame at the top (like the sill). Anything else that is done is counter productive and a waist of valuble time for this paticular issue. I would rather just leave it the way that it is. It really doesnt matter that much. This is one those CA things that you just have to live with until it is fixed.

The correct way in my opinion is to be able to be more flexible in the casing dialog box so you can choose to have casing only on the top and bottom or fix it in the lintel dialog box.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Joey,

I just drew a window, put in a lintel, put in a sill, set shutters and nothing overlaps.  Even my lintel doesn't overlap the frame.

Make sure the height in the Shutter tab is set to "Match Opening Height"...

Joey,

One other thing...

Go to the "Casing" tab.  Under the Exterior Casing, set the overlap frame dimension to 0".  Then UNCHECK "Use Exterior Casing".  That should eliminate the overlap of the lintel.

Joey,

Sorry if I am being dense here, but what are you talking about?

I thought your problem was the shutters.  Chief already gives you full control over shutter position and size so as far as I can tell there is nothing that needs fixing here.

Regarding the lintel and sill, as far as I can tell the program builds these the same.  If your "extend" is set to 0", then these will stop at the edge of the window.  You can also adjust either the lintel or sill by specifying a +- value for the extend.  There is also an option for wrapping but I don't believe that does anything unless you are using a custom profile.  Again, I don't know of anything here that is not working correct so I'm still not sure what needs fixing.

Maybe you could explain the problem better or post a plan?

Joey, Is this the look you are after? Everyone seems to use slightly different terminology but pictures never lie, and the plan is even better.

i would like the lintel to extend two inches past the window frame like the drawing in the first post. But the problem is the bottom of the lintel overlaps the shutter and window frame just as the picture in my first post.

Also I went in and made sure my casing overlap was set to zero.

Allthough I dont think the casing settings have anything to do with the lintel.

Jerry is correct.  Your casing overlap will affect your lintel position even if your casing is turned off.  It probably shouldn't.

If you set your casing overlap to 0 and are still having problems, then you need to post a plan or talk with tech support.

Thank You Jerry! That worked.

Not sure why it didn't work the first time I did it but I tried it on a different window and it worked fine.

A suggestion for CA would be to put that same setting to be accessed from the lintel DB maybe if it can be done.

Hmmm...funny I posted that same solution above.

Glad it worked for you  ;)

Yes I know you did but that is when it didn't work the first time i tried it so I was just responding to Jerry.

Every response in this thread was very helpful because now I have a larger understanding of how casing, lintel and sill work together.

So thank you very very much! :)