Layout Numbering

mm407p

Go to solution Solved by mm407p,

I'm trying to get the layout numbering 'page numbers' to be added to an arbitrary number,

and displayed in part of my title box.

I have problem with the display part what I cannot achieve is this:

60 + page number (say page 1)  = 61

I cannot get a macro or by using 'Insert' a command to give me the resultant 61

If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated.

If you insert 6# in the label section of layout page info and then use the macro %layout.label% it will give you 61-69. If you have more than 9 pages it will start numbering 610, 611 etc. You could also put 6%page% but either way after 9 pages it will do 3 digits.

• Solution

Thanks for the reply Graeme Taylor and

justmejerry

- but unfortunately the macro text editor does not seem to take anything with # in front of it.

# works in the layout numbering

% works in the "insert" for text commands

$ works in the Macro Text box editor as best as I can figure out

Tried all combinations that I think could work but - no luck.

I wonder if there is a "macro" bank where people post their macros that work?

Thanks for your efforts

Thanks for the comment - unfortunately  it does not work in this case. What I think I'm after is a "text macro" That I can then "insert"

Trying to count continually for different sets of drawings - so if a set ends at 60 sheets then the new one would begin at 61.

This is independent of the numbers that are counted by the layout page counter in any new set. (Sets are Sketch Design, Design Development, Construction drawings etc)

I don't know if this is explained well - but its the best I can do.

Thanks for your help.

Michael,

I am a little confused by your last couple of posts, but I think I may understand.

And I think you can do what you want - if my understanding is correct.

As I understand it, you have different template pages for you different plan "sets" in layout.

You have pages numbering sequentially within each plan set (by using 6# for the label).

But what you want to do also is number every printing layout page sequentially over the whole layout which includes all the individual plan sets. 

To do this, you can use the %page.print% macro in a text box on each layout template page.

This will number ALL your layout pages from 1 upwards and will ignore your template pages and will be independent of the page numbering within each of your page sets.

I highly suspect that I could be way off the mark with my understanding of what you have and what you want to achieve.

If so, can you explain in a bit more detail, or better still, post a layout and the referenced plan with an explanation of what you want.

At first reading it would appear that your first post was answered by Jerry in post #3.

And I don't understand what you are trying to do here:

- but unfortunately the macro text editor does not seem to take anything with # in front of it.

# works in the layout numbering

% works in the "insert" for text commands

$ works in the Macro Text box editor as best as I can figure out

Tried all combinations that I think could work but - no luck

Or...I could do a quick Skype session with you if you would like me to take a look at what you want.

If I am understanding correctly, it sounds like what you're after is maintaining page sequence between multiple layouts...Layout #1 has pages 1-60, Layout #2 has pages 61-100, etc. 

If this is correct, I would be curious as to why you're using separate layouts in the first place.  Is there some reason you can't just include it all in a single layout?

If my assumption is incorrect, can you perhaps clarify what you're trying to do?  Maybe Glenn's guess is correct?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Alaskan_Son and glenw for the replies

Yep Alaskan_Son ... you got it right ... :)  partly. so has glenw in a way ...but its not for printing its for Analytic's.

What I'm trying to do is:

"keep a record off all the pages used in the current project displayed on the title box independent of the current layout set"

So the construction drawings might have 25 sheets say 1 to 25, but there might have been 20 sheets used in the Design and Planning process.

Thus in the right hand side of the customary sheet I would have sheets 1 to 25 for the construction set as standard procedure to identify that set

and in another box on sheet 1 of the construction set I would have sheet number 26, on sheet 2 I would have sheet 27 ....etc to sheet 25 which would display 45. (thus there would be 2 numbering systems - one for the construction set and another for the total job set)

The reason for this is that when tied to the job number to each page used, you would have the capacity to reference every sheet on that job by a number which is useful when you do your analytic s of a job.

I apologize for the complex ties, but really I think this should be a simple process in to create a macro  and then reference that macro in the title box somewhere (which I have done) - the only think I cannot do is get a a declared variable to add to the layout page number.

I have asked this some question to Chief Support when using Chief 7 - reply was no it cannot be done.

I just wondered if it was possible in Chief 8 - maybe someone went down the same path.

Again thanks all for your help - it is greatly appreciated - "where there is a will there is a way"  ..I hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael, are you already using the %layout.label% macro in your layouts?

Hi Alaskan_Son - sorry it took a long time to respond

yes I, using that, but what I'm trying to do is add one page to an arbitrary number

as per the post of 13th. of June.

Thanks for the effort.

Hi Alaskan_Son - sorry it took a long time to respond

yes I, using that, but what I'm trying to do is add one page to an arbitrary number

as per the post of 13th. of June.

Thanks for the effort.

I understand.  If you weren't already using that macro I would have had a solution for you is all.