Convert 2D dwg/dxf to 3D CA file

Geyatautsilvsgi

Ok, guys here is one for your brains. I am going to send this to Tech support shortly as well. Have any of you been successful in converting 2D AutoCad Dwg/Dxf files to Chief architect files using the cad to wall tool in X7? I was up til 2 am last night trying to do so but only managed a few walls here and there. I have tried several times tonight and have not been successful.I looked in the forums here and even followed the step by step instructions in the support base etc. and importing is not a problem, converting the autocad walls to 3d walls is. I am at a loss. The house is not that big, just 3,000±sf. No dimensions to be seen, very few text notations. Just some room names. I haven't the slightest clue what I am doing wrong. As usual, I am sure it is something simple, but in this version of CA I am definitely  missing something. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

JGillette

Well, with some help from on high, I figured out how to convert the file. I did it a few times to be sure I was doing it right. It was late last night when I did...so my husband did not get to see me do my happy dance.haha, plus I got verification tech support. So now I am happy.

Jacquilla:

I started with Chief 9.5 and until recently I read every single post on this forum

I think yours is the first to report success with the Cad to Walls tool ....

I've been convinced this tool was worthless

Lew

Jacquilla:

I started with Chief 9.5 and until recently I read every single post on this forum

I think yours is the first to report success with the Cad to Walls tool ....

I've been convinced this tool was worthless

Lew

Have you ever thought about simply TRYING it?  I'm personally a little partial to the trace method, however CAD to Walls seems to work fine for me.  I don't care for it, but it seems to do what it was made for. 

Well, here is the gist of it all. It ONLY converts walls. That is it, nothing else, no fixtures or cabinetry. Secondly ALL walls have to be on the same layer.ALL door & Windows have to be on the same layer as walls or straight from the tech support

""The CAD to Walls tool can be used to convert CAD lines in floor plan view into architectural objects. Two or more parallel CAD lines can be converted to both straight or curved walls or rails. CAD lines representing windows and doors can also be converted.
All lines that you want to convert to walls must be located on one layer. The same is true for windows, doors, and rails. It may be helpful to place like items on a single layer with unique layer attributes...
To convert to a specific wall type, the lines representing the wall’s surfaces must be within one inch or 25mm of that wall type’s width. If two wall types are specified, new walls are assigned the type having the closest width."

CAD to Walls is NOT capable of converting CAD lines in to cabinets, sofas, tables, sinks, or any other type of fixture or furnishing. You can, however, use the existing CAD lines representing such objects from an imported DWG to place such objects using either the appropriate cabinet tools or objects from the Library Browser.

You may also find it helpful to keep in mind that making all the modifications required to some DWG files to use CAD to Walls is not as time efficient as simply importing the DWG and then using the walls tools to quickly trace over the imported lines, then place doors and windows."

So there you have it. I hope this helps others. Now to do my happy dance again....it got me the contract B)