Ceiling furring (strapping)

Skip_D

As I understand, unlike other parts of the country here in the North East we often using 1x3 strapping, or furring attached to the underside of the ceiling joists (or floor joists) to which we attach the gypsum ceiling.   Typically I specify my ceiling thickness as 1 1/4" to account for this; however I just noticed in X8 that my strapping is actually appearing in the framing!  This is great accept that I can't figure out how it came up with its dimension, which is showing as 1 1/2"w x 3/4"thick.  It should be 2 1/4" wide.  I can live w/ that though.

HOWEVER - obviously it needs to run perpendicular to the joists.  When I first generated the framing it miraculously was perpendicular, but when I added a beam to the garage, it turned to run parallel. 

Any suggestions on how to correct?  Plan attached.

thanks,

George

X8

Herwig 6.3.plan

As I understand, unlike other parts of the country here in the North East we often using 1x3 strapping, or furring attached to the underside of the ceiling joists (or floor joists) to which we attach the gypsum ceiling.   Typically I specify my ceiling thickness as 1 1/4" to account for this; however I just noticed in X8 that my strapping is actually appearing in the framing!  This is great accept that I can't figure out how it came up with its dimension, which is showing as 1 1/2"w x 3/4"thick.  It should be 2 1/4" wide.  I can live w/ that though.

HOWEVER - obviously it needs to run perpendicular to the joists.  When I first generated the framing it miraculously was perpendicular, but when I added a beam to the garage, it turned to run parallel. 

Any suggestions on how to correct?  Plan attached.

thanks,

George

X8

That my friend is very good.  You put the strapping in the CEILING FINISH dbx.  Very nice.  

But wait,  why can't we specify the joists going in one direction and the strapping/or dropped ceiling joists going in the other direction?  

Maybe if an architect was on staff,  he would of  picked this up.

BTW,  in the past  (several years ago) I have requested the ability to have ceiling/floor joists running in one direction and having the dropped ceiling joists/strapping running in the other direction.

I wonder if this is a good feature request?

That my friend is very good.  You put the strapping in the CEILING FINISH dbx.  Very nice.  

But wait,  why can't we specify the joists going in one direction and the strapping/or dropped ceiling joists going in the other direction?  

BTW,  in the past  (several years ago) I have requested the ability to have ceiling/floor joists running in one direction and having the dropped ceiling joists/strapping running in the other direction.

CHIEF DOES NOT NEED ARCHITECTS, THEY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS

BTW,  the garage is 24' x 24'.  

If you make it narrower,  remove the beam,  the joists and strapping go in different directions (good),  

if you make the garage wider,  they run parallel with each other (bad),  

if you keep the garage 24'  sq   without a beam, the joist and strapping run in opposite directions  (good),  

if you put a beam in,  the joists and strapping run parallel  (bad).  

I have not tested what would happen if I stood on my tip toes and said 7 Hail Mary's.

Is this inconsistent behavior or is it just me?

Come on CA,  let's somehow get this stuff to behave  consistently.  

And yes I have made the request to be able to control the direction behaviors.

yes we need to be able to have ceil joist going one direction and floor joists going the other. that's how I do a 2nd floor over the existing house leaving the existing ceiling joists. Now I have to fake it with no ceil joists at the existing (but leaving the space for them) and add them to the sections as needed, a bit of a pain but doable. anyone say workarounds, I like um.

I was playing around with this because this is like Scott mentioned been requested for ceiling and for wall strapping, bulkhead framing etc... I like the idea of putting strapping in ceiling finish. So when I made floor with this and set joist direction line with auto framing it puts them parallel. I then rotated joist direction line to get strapping pointed the way I wanted and then used match properties to select all of them, at which point I bumped up the width and put them on their own layer - Framing Ceiling Strapping. Turn off the auto framing and rotate the joist direction. This works when you have strapping on the floor joist but not on ceiling joists. Haven't tried trusses yet.

Seems a little quicker than manually framing with general framing.

• Like 1