Chief Architect Users Australia

seasdes

Home Designer has its own forum called "Home Talk" there are Australian users there and here. There is not an easy way to find them by search presently. Contact Glenn and he may be able to refer you to others down under.

You can send Glenn a private message using this link; https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/user/106-glennw/

DJP

Seasdes,

My view is that Chief Architect is a good CAD software program for:

1. single practitioners or firms under three in staff that focus on residential work or small commercial projects.

2. for simple conventional buildings it works well, particularly designs similiar to West Coast American residential buildings.

3. documentation is improving with each release. i.e. 3d models link to Layout

For unusual buildings with weird shapes, sloping walls off vertical, organic shapes etc. it is a big ask in Chief.

This can be compensated by using SketchUp to handle elements that are difficult to handle in Chief and combining the two.

Note ideal but hopefully Chief Architect will close the gap in future releases.

This mixing of CAD programs is doable for a single practitioner or small firm but not practicable for larger firms.

Glen Woodward is the go to man as noted.

All the best with your CAD software selection.

• 2 months later...

Seasdes,

I think you will enjoy the many features Chief has to offer, especially if you are coming from a 2d cad background.

We are based in Melbourne and switched to Chief three years ago- haven't looked back.

There are a few issues with getting things to display correctly as we build things here in Australia, but there are plenty of work arounds on the forums that are a great help.

As facer_03 stated, if you frequently design outside the norm you might come across more issues.

Also SSA comes free for your first year and our experience is that Chief Architect are usually very prompt in replying to any tickets.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I am an existing chief user in Melbourne.  

My workload has got to a point that I want to outsource the drafting and design work and keep it in chief so I can review it.

The designs are multi unit residential dwellings.

If anyone can help please contact me on as@deton7.com.au or +61408 335 388

• 2 years later...

I am new to this forum.

Are there any CA users on this forum that are based in India.

I India, people are not much aware with this software. So, there are very less number of opportunities related to the same.

As I am proficient in CA, looking for opportunities worldwide.

Attached below are the work samples.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

Slide11.JPG

Slide12.JPG

Slide13.JPG

Slide14.JPG

Slide15.JPG

Slide16.JPG

• 1 month later...

HI there,

I'm a newbie so I hope I have the right thread.  I'm a Melbourne Draftie currently choosing between CA & Softplan.  I've downloaded the demo version and there doesn't seem to be any support for Australian items.  I'm unable it seems to be able to draw a brick veneer wall straight out of the box.

If you purchase the full version is there an available Australian Library?  Do you have to create your own walls etc....

One big plus for Softplan is having a local supplier who also supplies a full Australian library so all notes, symbols, walls and finishes are ready to use right out of the box.

I'm hoping I can make CA work because a native Mac app is a huge plus for CA.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There isn't any Australian Libraries but if you spend some time working on a template you only need to create a particular wall or item once, creating new wall types is a quick and easy task.

I have my own texture library with all the materials typically used ie. bricks from PGH/Austral, colourbond colours and textures (https://steelselect.com.au/resources/textures)

Ive created some of my own james hardie textures but again done once and saved. 

Windows not really, I spent best part of 10 years resizing manually each window when placing but have recently found some time to create a library with standard window sizes to suit cladding and one to suit BV.

Untitled 1.png

Untitled 2.jpg

Capture1.PNG

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am wondering if there is an aluminium frame window catalog in Chief Architect from a USA manufacturer that could be used to represent our windows in Australia ?

Going back a very long time, someone did have a window library for Australia as an add on purchase. Around V10 I think ?