Video request. Elevation dimensioning

michaelgia

Can someone please make a video of the settings and strategy to get the best possible functionality in dimensioning an elevation view?

I still struggle with this... a lot!

Problems are as simple as not consistently being able to snap to exterior wall surfaces. It's a hit and miss.

I wish it worked as in Archicad where simply hovering over a wall or other items, highlights the wall and snaps exactly to the edge - consistently.

Thanks in advance.

(It really is my only gripe with Chief. And Chief's efficiency in all other aspects of residential design ar second to none)

I'm sorry, I don't have a perfect answer for you.  Dimensioning in elevation views could really use some improvements.  Its always been very buggy and inconsistent in my experience.  I find myself resorting to point to point dimensions quite often.  And I also find myself using CAD Detail From View for elevation work all the time.  Maybe consider doing this for your problem dimensions...

1.  Create a CAD Detail From View.  This will give you easy snap points to work with. 

2.  Dimension that CAD detail.

3.  While still using a dimension tool, Shift Select your dimensions.

4.  Cut (Control+X) or Copy (Control+C) and Paste Hold Position (Control+Alt+V) those dimensions back into your original elevation.

5.  Switch to the Point Marker tool and shift select all the point markers that were automatically created and put them on their own layer.  This way you can turn them on and off as necessary for any future changes. 

Unrelated to the suggestion above, but you can also try isolating the layers that you wish to dimension to help get rid of conflicting snap points. 

For exterior elevations I move the camera (temporarily) to the cross cut section zone. Then I can place CAD lines at the plate and sub floor to snap my dimensions to. Then move the Camera back.

Not sure if you realize this or not, but you can simply unlock the Cross Section Lines layer, Shift Select those lines and then Cut/Paste Hold Position instead of placing new CAD lines. 

Hey Michael! Thanks a million. I thought I was simply going about it the wrong way. Kind of comforting to know that a work around is required. Your approach seems quite simple and precise. Especially the isolating of the point markers and placing them on their own layer.

(Not sure what you meant in your response to Gawdzira, but are you saying to **** select the cross section lines and then paste them into the elevation view for dimensioning?)

thanks again

Hey Michael! Thanks a million. I thought I was simply going about it the wrong way. Kind of comforting to know that a work around is required. Your approach seems quite simple and precise. Especially the isolating of the point markers and placing them on their own layer.

(Not sure what you meant in your response to Gawdzira, but are you saying to **** select the cross section lines and then paste them into the elevation view for dimensioning?)

thanks again

You're welcome.  In regard to my response to Alan.  He was (presumably) saying that he likes to place his camera where it cuts through items he will be dimensioning (exterior walls in his example).  I assume this is so he can pick up the necessary snap points to draw some reference lines.  Those snap points are really just created by the automatically created cross section lines.  I kinda suspect that most people don't really even know those lines exist because they are locked by default.  If you unlock them and hit W to switch to the Line tool you can then easily group select them using Shift + a marquis selection box and Cut or Copy/Paste Hold Position into the re-positioned camera view.  

I was really just trying to help Alan (or anyone else reading this) skip the extra step of actually drawing the reference lines. 

Well, your method should be in the Chief reference manual. Not even kidding here.

Thank you.  That's very kind of you : )  The one big downside to using that method of course is that your dimensions are no longer tied to the objects though so just bear that in mind.  Any changes to the plan and you'll have to move any of those pt. to pt. dimensions around again.  In that case though you can just turn those point markers back on (might help if you made them a color that sticks out) move accordingly and then turn back off.  

Good point but seeing that I wait until the absolute end of the drawing process before I dimension an elevation it shouldn't be an issue. Nor does it seem too time consuming to redo if the model changes.

That's what's great about your approach.

Thanks again!

.....The one big downside to using that method of course is that your dimensions are no longer tied to the objects though so just bear that in mind.  Any changes to the plan and you'll have to move any of those pt. to pt. dimensions around again.....

That is very true,  but I find the CA dimensioning for elevations a non starter.  I use CAD lines,  similar to what Alan is talking about.  The CAD lines are already in my elevation camera shots,  and it is simply a matter of changing the CAD lines to reflect 8' plates vs 9' plates.  I wish it was more auto,  but I have found it more trouble than it is worth.

I'm not so sure we're all talking about the same thing here.  I for one was talking about dimensioning elevation views in general (cabinets, countertops, appliances, fixtures, interior finishes, furniture, framing members, etc.)...not just story pole dimensions.