Wall height of closet in room that has a cathedral ceiling

junior

Go to solution Solved by junior,

You can place a ceiling plane manually.  Then drag the wall tops down to that point.

Why wouldn't you do it the way Tommy suggests?  I cannot think of one good reason to use your method instead of Tommy's.

If you do not use Tommy's method,  you might want to give it a try....  very powerful method and no downside.

Tried both methods, but can't get results I want. 

This is a one story house with a cathedral ceiling in the center section.

I believe I have seen a video that shows how to pull down a wall

that enclosed a stairwell  in a room with a cathedral ceiling,

but I don't know the correct wording to recover the video. 

Junior,

I don't like using a second floor unless I really want a second floor - too much chance of complications.

Go up to the Attic and make the closet walls invisible.

The invisible walls will remove the ceiling above the walls.

For the rooms, nominate them as Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling. 

The ceilings above the invisible closet walls will fill in.

You will end up with this:

post-106-0-75772600-1465080230_thumb.jpg

Junior,

I don't like using a second floor unless I really want a second floor - too much chance of complications.

Do you get a finish on the floor above closet?

Do you get a finish on the floor above closet?

Scott,

I am not sure.

I am not tall enough to see the top of the cupboard.

Ok, I just got the ladder and had a peek - there is a lot of dust up there!

Yep, I can control the "floor" material over the cupboard by changing the cupboards ceiling material.

post-106-0-92183000-1465083755_thumb.jpg

Scott,

I am not sure.

I am not tall enough to see the top of the cupboard.

Ok, I just got the ladder and had a peek - there is a lot of dust up there!

Yep, I can control the "floor" material over the cupboard by changing the cupboards ceiling material.

Glenn,  it looks like the closet walls are shorter than the exterior walls,  IOW the top of the wall is not as tall as the line where the roof plane hits the wall,  whereas in the latest picture the closet walls reach that line.  You must of changed something.

I assume you do not have ceiling joists if a section was cut,  and I assume you can not have a different materials for the closet ceiling and top of closet floor.

Junior,

The problem with using the soffit material is you must have a soffit at the eaves.

As usual I did learn something from you......  I learned how to use the use soffit material option.....  I have a lot of sloped ceiling with stucco finishes,  thanks for that.

I maintain the second floor option is the best method.

Glenn,  it looks like the closet walls are shorter than the exterior walls,  IOW the top of the wall is not as tall as the line where the roof plane hits the wall,  whereas in the latest picture the closet walls reach that line.  You must of changed something.

I assume you do not have ceiling joists if a section was cut,  and I assume you can not have a different materials for the closet ceiling and top of closet floor.

Scott,

I can make the cupboard any height I want.

Don't assume anything! :)

I can get ceiling joists - no trouble.

I can have different materials on the "floor" above the cupboard and the floor inside the cupboard.

I can have different materials for the ceiling of the cupboard and the "floor" above the cupboard.

The last 3 can all be easily controlled by the cupboard's Ceiling Structure.

I don't need a second floor and have never used a second floor when I don't actually have a second floor in the building.

If you don't want to use "Use Soffit Surface For Ceiling", uncheck it and then in the roof dbx. on the Structure tab...Roof Layers, uncheck "Use Room Ceiling Finish" and specify a ceiling finish. 

This method also gets rid of the cupboard wall lines on the raking ceiling and is specifically designed for use with cathedral ceilings.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

You won't convince me to use a second floor when I don't need one! :wacko:

post-106-0-69961700-1465167107_thumb.jpg

If you don't want to use "Use Soffit Surface For Ceiling", uncheck it and then in the roof dbx. on the Structure tab...Roof Layers, uncheck "Use Room Ceiling Finish" and specify a ceiling finish. 

Just to add to what Glenn has said, be sure to check "Has Ceiling" and specify a "Thickness." And when he says to "specify a ceiling finish" that will be done on the Materials Panel of the Roof Plane dbx.

From the Ref. Manual :

• When Use Room Ceiling Finish is checked, the ceiling finish thickness and material on the undersides of roof planes are defined by the room below. Uncheck this box to enable the two settings that follow and define the ceiling finish as part of the roof planes instead. When this is unchecked, you can specify the Ceiling Surface material on the Materials Panel.

Works very well.

Thanks, Glenn.

post-571-0-66394600-1465180871_thumb.jpg

MickeyToo,

The information in your last post is incorrect.

Or rather, your information and instructions are out of date and do not apply to X8.

It would appear that you are using a version earlier than X8 as most of those settings do not apply to X8 and my suggestions are completely different than your interpretation.

It would help if you posted your version number in your signature so that is displayed with all your posts.

Just to add to what Glenn has said, be sure to check "Has Ceiling" and specify a "Thickness." And when he says to "specify a ceiling finish" that will be done on the Materials Panel of the Roof Plane dbx.

MickeyToo,

The dbx's are different in X8 and have different options and settings.

Hi Glen,  Your method worked fine, except I can't find a way to close in the areas of the invisible walls

What is the magic solution?  I am using X8, if that means anything.

post-431-0-33473700-1465310660_thumb.jpg

Junior, From what I can see when I twist my neck you almost have it you just need to follow Glenn's instructions carefully to finsh.

Method 1.  Specify "Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling" in Room Specification DBX (dialogue box) under Structure tab for all rooms that share the common ceiling area.

Method 2.  Deselect "Use Room Ceiling Finish" in Roof Plane Specification DBX under Structure tab for the roof plane that provides the ceiling for the affected rooms.

Note: Regardless of which method you use check that you undo the settings of the other method. Also both methods allow you to select a ceiling finish if you need to change from the default.

See DBX shots below:

post-4797-0-29096500-1465356256_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-96292400-1465356271_thumb.jpg