Roof over angled bump out

HillsideDB

Hey guys I'm having trouble with this roof. I have a small bump out on a rear wall that has angled walls like a bay window except this is full height and the sliding door will be in it. However, I have killed myself trying to get this roof to work. I'm usually decent at figuring how a roof will go together but nothing seems to look right in the 3d and in plan view it looks worse. And then to make matters worse it seems to be cutting into the ceiling. I've got my baselines on the wall exteriors just like the other roof planes. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Any help would be much appreciated. I attached jpegs of the roof and plan area. 

Thanks,

Tony 

post-7340-0-66129800-1464597744_thumb.jpgpost-7340-0-91100500-1464597866_thumb.jpg

Tony,

Why not let Chief auto build it?

Do you need something more like this?

This is how Chief auto builds it.

I think there is another way to do the geometry on a bump out like that, but see if this way helps first.

post-106-0-84975900-1464603924_thumb.jpg

You can fix it manually very quickly. Grab center roof over bay and pull it to ridge of house, open dbx of center bay roof and lower ridge until same as house at the intersecting point. Then open dbx of side roof plans of bay and match ridge height of center roof. Lock fascia height.

Although you are asking for roof building information; I think you have a design issue with trying to push that angled bump in the wall so close to the corner. That is why the roof is not working visually.  If you lower the roof and try to extend the angled end, it misses the wall and extends past the corner. If you want it higher it still is pushing past where something like this should be in relation to the corner of the house and roof. Design wise, I would carry a straight line of the roof over that bump out so you don't emphasize the protuberance. I can't tell if this is viable by the overall design of the building since you only posted a small snip of the house.

Gawdzira, thats what I was afraid of. At the same pitch as the rest of the roof the bump out roof is too tall and goes over that near hip.  I agree about using the main roof to cover the bump. Just make it a 2' overhang and it would cover the bump and cut cost of extra roof framing and material. I think this is what I'm gonna go with and send it back to the builder to get his 0.02.  Thanks Shane for the info, I couldn't get it to work right. I wasn't sure exactly what you meant. I'll see what the builder says and we'll go from there. 

Thanks guys

hey guys, im not having luck. I know what the roof is supposed to look like, how I would build it, but I dont know how to make the program build it. As you can see from the pics, in plan its correct. But in 3d I need there to be a ridge for the hips to connect and the ridge would then tie back into the main. Ive made the roof planes manually and cannot get them to connect correctly and create a ridge. I'm getting frustrated because this would be such a small simple roof to build. What am i doing wrong here fellas? I use Softplan at work during the day and I hate to say I think the roof system is better in that program. That hurt to say that. haha!

post-7340-0-46777800-1464923253_thumb.png

post-7340-0-79515100-1464923257_thumb.png

And when I do create a ridge, I the fascias are sloped and i cant seem to get them to connect. I thought i had the roofs on here figured out, but i guess not. I added another pic of the roof and attached the plan itself. Its probably a simple fix that im not seeing. 

post-7340-0-53317900-1464924275_thumb.png

When you want to auto build roofs and you don't want the roofs to follow the walls, we have a tool to do that.

It's called a roof baseline polyline.

You do realise that with that roof geometry, your plates will be at different heights and not level?

Also, I think you are going to have to change the pitch of some of the roof planes to get that to work.

You can't have a hip at 45deg running up from an eave corner that is 135deg.

I believe it is impossible to build that roof like you show with all the pitches the same, same overhangs, same eaves height, etc.

I will do an example an post in a few minutes.

Here is my stab at it.

To do what you want, you have to lower the pitch of the 2 roof planes that come off the 45deg walls.

To keep the same eave height, the o/h has to be smaller.

You can't meet all od the parameters - eave width. eave height and 45deg hips - something has to give.

It's up to you to decide what gives.

PS, just saw your posted plan.

If you tell me, in order, what are the most important parameters.

Eave height.

Eave overhang.

Roof pitch.

You can't have them all!!

post-106-0-61542900-1464927312_thumb.jpg

Tony,

I se that you are getting plenty of help and suggestions.

How does this look?

With the 45deg roofs pitched at 4.25:12, the valley's and hips are about 45deg.

Note the ceiling encroachment indicated by the Ceiling Break Lines. 

post-106-0-88552600-1464930592_thumb.jpg

Tony, the gable at the front bedroom #2 looks good. Any chance of repeating that on the back. You would avoid 2 angled walls which would be a cost savings (or offset cost to the gable end that would be created). And not that you are asking but, that entry is really a pinch point. Is this a remodel or a new home?

Its very subjective and in large part its a matter of personal preference, but I'm with Alan on this one.  I would lean toward a gable if its an option.  That being said...

In addition to the other advice above, I don't feel like drawing it up, but you could also use more of a turret type roofline and thereby use whatever kind of pitch you want. 

hey guys sorry for not responding sooner. I was on the laptop and it died and i didnt have much left in the tank. Looks like Glenn and Chopsaw got it! I sure appreciate the help. I couldn't figure it out and i was going crazy. Alan, I wish we could have just made that bump out square that would have solved a lot of problems or even using a gable over the whole thing would have been easy. And I agree, that front entry way is really tiny. This is a new house build that is already bought. The homeowners wanted the bay area in the back (for what reason, I have no idea) and I'm guessing that front entry is tiny so those bedrooms can get as wide as possible. I'm just doing what Im told! haha, this is my first for this builder and I've never had that kind of problem before with a roof section. I sure appreciate the help and quick responses!! Thanks a ton guys! 

I will post you plans if you would like to take a look. Plan b may need a little more help to level the ridge that returns to the main roof plane and I was able to maintain your original overhang.  I also thickened up your driveway slab to reduce the bump on plan b.  Glad you did not fall asleep on you keyboard, you never know what the plans will look like when you wake up after that happens.

See post # 17 for fixed plans.  And good Luck.

Here is a solution.  

The ridge is parallel to ground (not angled) and all the roof pitches are the same.  Eaves are exactly the same, The top plates are the same height and the ceiling inside is constant.

Note there are 2 additional roof planes.

post-50-0-53949100-1464959206_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Dshall, thats what I originally thought the roof would look like.And the builder drew out what he wanted to see, which is what i sketched out. I just could not for the life of me, get the roofs to meet and look pretty. Chopsaw thanks for the plan! i think I'll play with it a bit to get that ridge to be level. Thanks for the help guys! Hope I can return the favor. 

Hey Scott,

That is the other way of doing it that I alluded to in post #2 - thanks for drawing it.

I would be interested to see what happens when you try and build that as close to the corner as Tony requires.

Hey Scott,

That is the other way of doing it that I alluded to in post #2 - thanks for drawing it.

I would be interested to see what happens when you try and build that as close to the corner as Tony requires.

Glenn, that makes it even easier....... One of those new roof planes ends up as part of the main hip.