Reflected Ceiling plan

sconnor707

• 1 year later...

Sometimes we  need simple answers.  I have read that some users use plan and turn on/off layers for the RCPs.  But for instance, in RCP's usually doors are drafted as closed, and additional ceiling info is required like soffits, beams, lighting, electrical, etc.  What about copying plan and pasting it right next to each other and for layout just selecting the plan that is now the RCP? I tried this method for creating a demo plan and it worked.  Any comments?

I always deal with the RCP through layers. The doors showing as closed is done by turning off doors and turning on door headers. That way there is still an indication of where the door opening is. Creating a different (non live) plan is asking for trouble.

• 6 months later...

Well, it's just my opinion, but I think you are putting too much in to this. I simply leave my doors and windows as they are and move on. Unless you create 2 different plans, or create CAD boxes, or etc.....Chief doesn't work the way you want it to. I understand what you are saying, and I know that in a perfect (Chief) world the doors would show as closed per layer, and windows would show headers, but that is not the tool set we have. Adapt or drown.

If I make a CAD box how can I get it to " snap" to the walls? I was able to figure out how to turn off the windows layer, create a window headers layer, but now the box won't snap to the walls. Once I get that - I've got it.

Check out this thread to see if it helps you at all...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/7978-object-snaps-strange/

Also, here's a quick and crappy video showing how you can use CAD detail from view for this purpose as well.

• Upvote 2

I don't want to be a tool but to reiterate what Joey "alluded to", a reflected ceiling plan is done by drafting. We get a nice guide to start us off and then we draw a bunch of lines and circles and stuff until the drawing begins to not suck and tell the story. Happy Friday.

• 7 years later...